TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.

A co-worker who suffers from clinical depression and is on

A co-worker who suffers from clinical depression and is on a heavy level of anti-depressant told me that he had a battle with his emotions (trust) Sunday morning and took him awhile to get himself back on track. He later mentioned that he and a friend had downed a 12 pack Sat. night. He doesn't have a drinking problem that I know of but should he be drinking at all? He is about 36 or 37 years old and has battled severe depression for at least 5years.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  TherapistMarryAnn replied 5 years ago.

Hi, I'd like to help you with your question.

Your co worker should not be drinking at all. Alcohol is a depressant and if he is already depressed he is just making himself feel a lot worse. Alcohol can also affect his judgment so if he is feeling suicidal, he may be more willing to attempt to hurt himself if he is drinking.

Adding alcohol to anti depressant medication can be dangerous. Drinking alcohol with anti depressants can cause an increase in depression, an increase in side effects from the medication (if the medication causes you to feel tired, the alcohol would dramatically increase the effect), he can become even more intoxicated because the medications increase the effect of alcohol, and if he is taking a certain kind of medication called a MAOI, he can experience a dramatic spike in blood pressure and have a stroke.

If you can, talk with your friend about the dangers of using alcohol. He may not listen, but talking to him will let him know you care. That way, if he ever needs anyone to turn to in the future he knows you are there.

Let me know if I can help in any other way,