TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.

I am going to see the doctor today for what I believe to be

I am going to see the doctor today for what I believe to be a panic dissorder. I constantly have feelings of doom about my health, the slightest pain makes me worry there is a major medical issue happening. I also often feel short of breath, and get waves of dizziness, that pass after a period of time. I am afraid to go anywhere in fear of not being near a medical facility. I want to know what is a reccomended anti-anxiety medicine for women, that is very mild that i can try to start. I am 30years old. I am active, in a healthy weight, have two childeren and eat healthy. Any suggestions?

Hi, I'd like to help you with your question.

Panic disorder is one of the most common problems. Although it is very difficult to live with, the good news is that it is easy to treat. A combination of talk therapy and medication (taken until therapy begins to work for you) helps greatly reduce or even cure those with panic disorder.

The symptoms you describe sound like panic disorder. But when someone experiences symptoms such as you are, it is always a good idea to get a medical exam first before considering a mental health issue. Many physical problems, such as hyperthyroidism, mimic panic disorder so it is never a bad idea to be sure.

Medications that can be prescribed in low dosages for anxiety include Ativan, Xanax, Klonopin, and Valium. Be aware that many people who take medications sometimes need to try different ones before they find one that works for them. Because of body chemistry and other factors, medications react differently with everyone.

You may also want to consider talk therapy. A therapy called Cognative Behavioral therapy (CBT) and the newer Integrated therapy both have been proven to be very effective in treating anxiety and panic. When you see your doctor, ask for a referral to a therapist. Or you can search on line at

Also, you can help yourself at home. Here are some excellent resources to help you get started:

When Panic Attacks: The New, Drug-Free Anxiety Therapy That Can Change Your Life by David D. Burns

The Anxiety & Phobia Workbook by Edmund J. Bourne

Hope and Help for Your Nerves (Signet) by Claire Weekes

Panic Attacks Workbook: A Guided Program for Beating the Panic Trick by David Carbonell

You can find these books on or your local library may have them for you.

Let me know if I can help in any other way,