Ask Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC Your Own ...

Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC
Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
54658078

I had a question about a psychiatric report written on me.

I had a question about a psychiatric report written on me. My doctor sent me to a consultation with another doctor and she wrote up a report on me. I got a copy of it and it really hurt my feelings. The other doctor described me as “grandiose,” “obsessional,” “hypersexual,” and “almost psychotic.”

My doctor said that the other doctor was just looking for ideas. She also said I shouldn’t have requested a copy of the report and I shouldn’t have read it because I didn’t understand the lingo and it was inappropriate for me to read? Is she right? Should I be upset?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC replied 3 years ago.

Hi, I'd like to help you with your question.

There is nothing wrong with you reading the report from the psychiatrist. It is about you, you paid for it, and you have the right by law to see it. But, given that it is a medical report, you need to keep in mind that it is written from a psychiatrist's perspective. It is their job to give the best impression they can of a person they see for an evaluation. What goes into that is their impression based on their education, perspective, experience and their own interpretations. The psychiatrist may be a good one or a bad one. Also, it is written with the assumption that the patient will not read it. So most doctors do not hold back if they even suspect a possible issue with the patient. All those factors come into play with the evaluation.

Your doctor is right, in a way. Reading the report alone is not a good idea. There is no way for you to know the reasons behind the things the doctor wrote, and to understand why makes a big difference. Instead, you may have read the report, but with your doctor sitting with you and explaining what you were reading. That would have helped you get a better idea of what you were reading and why the doctor said what they said. And keep in mind, this is one doctor's impression after meeting you for a short time. Just because they said it, doesn't mean it is true. It could only be partially true, or not true at all. So try to clarify it with your doctor so you can get a better understanding and feel better about what you read.

I hope this helped you,
Kate

Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC, Therapist
Experience: Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.