AgapeDoc
AgapeDoc, Psychologist
Experience:  Dr. W. D. Nicholas will help you find solutions to life's challenging issues.

my daughter has suffered with depression for the last 25yrs.

my daughter has suffered with depression for the last 25yrs. the last 4 yrs she is unable to cope due to high anxiety. she has tried electro therapy and every medication available. four doctors have completely given up on her. she now lives with me and its so sad to watch her suffer and not be able to help. my question to you is: is there an in-house facility that she can go that is affordable (she is on disability), where they treat you with dignity and respect? she had a terrible experience recently at a facility, and is scared to seek treatment at all.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  AgapeDoc replied 3 years ago.

AgapeDoc :

Thanks for reaching out to Just Answer. Let me see if I can answer your question.

AgapeDoc :

I'm very sorry to hear that you are in this very tough situation. I am also very sorry to hear that even one doctor has "given up" on any person. Most residential facilities are extremely expensive - you may be able to find one though since she is on disability. As far as treating her with respect and dignity, I find it very sad that we even have to question a facilities ethics such as this, but sadly it's true and your concerns are valid.

AgapeDoc :

Having said that, the best way to insure that your daughter is being treated with dignity is to stay very involved in the treatment.

AgapeDoc :

In situations such as this, my recommendation is to be "pleasantly persistent" in terms of asking questions, getting clarification on her treatment (I mean medical and otherwise), visiting and other things.

AgapeDoc :

Additionally, you can become very informed about her illness and treatment via the internet on sites such as this and WebMD, which can help you evaluate her treatment, etc.

AgapeDoc :

How am I doing so far?

Customer:

Thank You. How do I go about finding a place? She went to a "state ran facility. They wouldnt answer questions and wouldnt even tell her the medications she was taking until after she was released. that was in April. She only got worse. The doctor finally said I cant help you. Do you know a of a faclity in ok?

AgapeDoc :

Thanks for your response. I understand about the issues of a state run facility - not to knock them, but the perception is they are overworked, etc.

AgapeDoc :

I can't say that I can recommend a facility in Oklahoma - but I would suggest an internet search. Again, if possible find one that you are very close to so you can stay involved. I wish I could be more helpful in terms of recommending a facility - but I can't honestly say I know of one there.

Customer:

Thank you anyway. I will keep trying. What would you do if this was your daughter? Keep trying doctors? The real problem is that she has horribble anxiety attacks just thinking of trying to gey out of the house.

AgapeDoc :

If this was my daughter.... by the way, what a great question.... If this was my daughter, I would not give up. I would continue to seek out doctors and therapists. I would seek out a solution focused therapist.

Customer:

thank you again. you have a great day.

AgapeDoc, Psychologist
Experience: Dr. W. D. Nicholas will help you find solutions to life's challenging issues.