TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.

Depression and anxiety. I am depressed all day and cry all

Depression and anxiety. I am depressed all day and cry all day as well. I have no joy in my life. help me please.  I have suffered from depression since the birth of my third child, where I had a complete breakdown that lasted 3 years.  I waas previously on prozac and am in the process of going off pristiq as it made my symtoms worse, and going back on prozac that helped before,

Hi, I'd like to help you with your question.

Have you tried therapy yet? Having someone to talk to about how you feel can make a big difference in your mood and in greatly reducing your depression and anxiety. Talk to your doctor about a referral or try searching on line at

You can also help yourself at home. Here are some resources to get you started:

Self-Coaching: The Powerful Program to Beat Anxiety and Depression, 2nd Edition, Completely Revised and Updated by Joseph J. Luciani

Healing Anxiety and Depression by Daniel G. Amen and Lisa C. Routh

The Mindful Way through Depression: Freeing Yourself from Chronic Unhappiness by XXXXX XXXXX, XXXXX Teasdale, Zindel Segal and Jon Kabat-Zinn

Overcoming Anxiety, Panic, and Depression: New Ways to Regain your Confidence by Arthur H. XXXXX, XXXXX Gardner

You can find these books on or your local library may have them for you.

It is important that you try to find something each day to look forward to. Think about the things you enjoyed before you felt depressed and anxious. Pick one activity or event you think you may be able to do then plan it for the next day. If you want, call a friend or family member to go with you. They can help motivate you because you will be going with them, making it harder to cancel the plans.

It is very hard to be motivated when you are depressed and anxious. Making the effort seems overwhelming. But sometimes just going through the motions helps give you enough of a boost to get back into life.

Do you have any support? Friends, family or co workers can help you as well. Someone to talk to beyond therapy can help you feel better. You could also try a support group if you do not have anyone to talk to. Here is a link to help you find a group in your area or online:

Let me know if I can help in any other way,

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Do you think that going back on prozac which helped is better than trying yet another medication that will not work. Prozac seems to be the only thing that ever helped me. And clonazapam calms me down and makes me feel better. I take 2 miligrams twice a day, but am now requiring one in the middle?

Yes, if Prozac worked for you, then definitely go back on it.

Most people try several medications before they find one(s) that works for them. And adjusting the dosage is common, since your body gets used to the medication and you need an increase in order to make the medication work at the same level as before.