TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.

I have recently been diagnosed with a type of dementia because

Customer Question

I have recently been diagnosed with a type of dementia because I have a failing memory and extremely high inflammation markers. This has taken away my job and I am living a completely different life. What do I do now?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  TherapistMarryAnn replied 5 years ago.

Hi, I'd like to help you with your question.

I am sorry to hear about your diagnosis. It is life altering and overwhelming. Have you been able to talk to anyone about how you feel? If you have not seen a therapist, it would be a good idea for you to consider going. You need the support right now and a therapist could help you work on how you want to handle your life now with this diagnosis. Talk to your doctor about a referral or search on line at

Here are some resources to help you:

Keeping Busy: A Handbook of Activities for Persons with Dementia by James R. Dowling

Dancing with Dementia: My Story of Living Positively with Dementia by Christine Bryden

You can find these on or your local library may have them for you.

There are many things you could consider doing now that you are home. Volunteer work is an excellent way to use your medical skills to help others while tailoring the work to your limitations. Try a hospital, nursing home or elder care. You could also work at the library, community organizations or with children. Any organizations such as United Way also need volunteers, especially with your skills.

You could also try a hobby. Take a class and learn a new skill. It will help you stay engaged and make friends. If you have a Joann's near you, they often have good classes if you like crafts. Or your local community college has lots of non credit courses that teach you something without the pressure of tests and passing grades.

Join a support group. Here is a link to a group that helps those with dementia-

Start a blog about your experience. It would be very therapeutic for you, and you could help others who have the same diagnosis or the caregivers who help them.

These are just some of the ideas you could try. They may not all be for you, but they could lead you to other opportunities that do work.

Let me know if there is any thing else I can help you with,

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for your help and websites. I really cannot afford therapy because of my loss of income. My husband and I are hanging on by a thread with only one. I think i could maybe join a group and get out that way. I'm only comfortable at home and afraid I will become a hermit! At least I could talk and learn with others that way. I am now on Namenda tabs and the Exelon patch forever.

You could try the local community mental health center for therapy. They offer free or low cost therapy to anyone who needs it. You could also try contacting therapists in your area to see if they would see you on a sliding fee scale. Many therapists will do this to help people without insurance. You could also try the local universities with psych programs. They usually have college graduate students who do therapy for free to help them learn.

Support groups are an excellent way to help yourself, make friends, and be with others who understand what you are going through. Just the act of sharing with others can do a world of good in helping your mood and outlook.

I understand about wanting to stay home. This has to be hard to struggle with. But getting yourself out there, even if it is in a limited way, can help you not feel so trapped at home and help improve your life.