Kelley
Kelley, Licensed Clinical Social Worker
Experience:  BSW, MSW, LCSW
20327072

I have a 29 year old daughter who is currently living outside

Customer Question

I have a 29 year old daughter who is currently living outside of Boston. For the past 15 years she has experienced a great deal of depression and long periods of chronic migraine headaches. At one point she was heavily into drugs. Though she is leading a much cleaner life as far as that goes, she is now fighting with food issues. In the past she has become painfully thin, but for the past few years, she has found herself binging on food and now, according to her, has ballooned to 170 lbs on her tiny 5'5" frame. She is constantly miserable and this affects everyone close to her. She makes very little money and has no insurance. She keeps crying out, but I don't know what to tell her. I'm lost and feel so helpless for this lovely daughter of mine. Help!
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  David Akiva replied 5 years ago.

Duddy :

Welcome, I am a professional counselor, behavioral-consultant and relationship expert. I'd like to ask a few questions to better understand your situation and your question.

Duddy :

In fact, you've provided some very solid information with what you've written. Part of my role here is help visitors clarify their question.

Duddy :

Let me start by asking: what do you mean more specifically when you write help me in your presenting question?

Duddy :

In a question and answer service like this one it's best if we come up with a more specific question so that I can get to work writing you a detailed and hopefully, strong and practical answer to your question.

Duddy :

I notice that you're off line right now. I'll check back first thing in the morning for your response.

Duddy :

By the way, it may be helpful for you to think of the top 2 or 3 specific problems or behaviors that you need help with. I look forward to your thoughts here. You can leave more comments and information for me if you like, that I can read over in the early morning before leaving my next reply. Hopefully we'll connect and be able to chat. Otherwise we can leave messages for each other and getting to your answer shouldn't take more than a few exchanges.

JACUSTOMER-ixnrddcc- :

My daughter has been a binge eater for quite some time now. She'll get some control and then loses it again. She now has ballooned to 170 lbs, 40 lbs over her ideal weight. She lives in Boston and I live in Tucson, AZ. She called me in crisis and does not know what to do. She has no insurance and makes little money. Where can she go to get help for this problem?

Duddy :

Ok. So if I'm hearing you correctly, you are looking for treatment resources for your daughter in her area, but resources that are free for lack of finances? Is that correct?

Duddy :

If so in what specific area, state, county and city or town (if it's ok to ask)?

Duddy :

I'll do some research once I have your response. If I can't find anything then they we can recirculate your question for other Experts to consider and work on. You don't pay for an answer here unless it is genuinely satisfying to you.

JACUSTOMER-ixnrddcc- :

She lives in the Boston, MA area. The binge eating is a recent part of the anxiety attacks she has experienced for years. Her voice cracks leaving her embarrassed to talk. Then she also has been diagnosed with polycystic overies creating a great deal of excess body hair thus creating more social anxieties.

Duddy :

I have not been able to find the kind of service that you are looking for. I am going to recirculated this question for all other mental health experts to look at. You may want to create a new question that asks specifically for what you're looking for: For example: "Looking for free intensive treatment program for....... in Boston area" or how ever you would fraise it. That would allow the experts closer to that area with more specialized training or knowledge to help you find what you're looking for.

Duddy :

I wish you and your family the very best,

Duddy :

- Duddy.

Expert:  Kelley replied 5 years ago.
Hi. Thanks for using JustAnswer! I have a few suggestions that she might try. The first is that is she is suicidal that she goes to the closest hospital or crisis unit in her area. They will not turn her away for lack of insurance if she is suicidal. As for longer term treatment I would suggest she contact her local mental healht unit becuase they will be able to provide psychiatric services and therapy services for her for free to very low cost both of which she sounds like she is in need of. It is not uncommon for people with food addictions to have a history of other addictions. Often one addiction gets transfered to another addiction unti the REAL issue is dealt with. Is would highly suggest she also in addition to the above suggestions attend OA meetings or NA meetings which are both 12 step meetings. Let me know how else I can help!