psychlady, Therapist
Experience:  Psychotherapist specializing in the treatment of a variety of mental health issues.

Dear Psyche Lady, Do you think there are differences between

Customer Question

Dear Psyche Lady,

Do you think there are differences between the words mad crazy and insane?

It seems to me that insane simply means not sane (like you and I) rather than specifying an illness?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  psychlady replied 5 years ago.
I have never heard mad crazy. This sounds like someone silly or eccentric - like a slang word for just being odd. Insane is the opposite of sanity. It is crazy in the true sense. What we are are embracing sanity. We can be crazy on occasion however. To have an illness I see as insane (if chronic) or having a disorder (if functional). I think all of us in the end could qualify for anything but that is just how I see it.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Do you think if someone got schizophrenia people might say they went mad?

Expert:  psychlady replied 5 years ago.
I don't like the term "mad" because it insinuates that someone is strange and crazy. If someone got schizophrenic they are diseased but not mad. It is a disease that is able to be addressed where mad is someone in the psychiatric hospital that is locked down.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

do you think people who are very ignorant might say he went mad

Expert:  psychlady replied 5 years ago.
I think so. That is an "ignorant" term. I think people say that almost as an insult
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

please have a look at these paragraphs and let know what you think:

‘Madness' in point of fact is an example of what Lewis Carroll called a ‘Porte manteau Word', in that it tries to put some very different things into the same box. I suspect that this is because society has had a tendency to simply label any behaviour which it does not understand in the same way. Thus manias, melancholia, delusions, paranoia, hallucinations, simple schizophrenia, hebephrenia, catatonia, schizo-affective disorder, bi-polar, hypo-manic, hyper-manic, hearing voices etc..' have been so grouped together. But what does this ‘madness' mean other than the loss of reason?

Thus similar such words tend to be defined in a purely negative way: it is abnormal, insane, unusual, non-sensical, non-compus mentis, deficient, deranged and not rational. people are thought to have ‘lost their minds'. The negative definitional aspect of madness can also be found in a number of popularly used slang expressions such as ‘not all there', ‘not right', ‘not a full shilling', ‘not a full deck', ‘one sandwich short of a picnic' etc. But where is the understanding of having a health problem in all this negative talk?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
please refer to post above