psychlady, Therapist
Experience:  Psychotherapist specializing in the treatment of a variety of mental health issues.

Well Ive never done this before but I really need some help.

Customer Question

Well I've never done this before but I really need some help. Well I just had a baby he will be turning 4 months in a few days and well Im not married but I am with the babies dad. My sister who lives in Germany is going to visit her husbands family and well she has invited me to come and even paid for the ticket but my boyfriend doesnt want me to go even though its only for 4 days and 3 nights. He says if I go he will never talk to my family again. I'm still going but am I doing the right thing? I mean my family is all over the states and his family gets to see my baby every sat. My family doesn't get to see my baby as often so am I being selfish by going? I mean if I don't go I wont see my sister untill she moves back into the state but who knows when that will happen. Please help me I'm very confused why its such a big deal.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  psychlady replied 5 years ago.

He is being very selfish especially when you have family so far away. This is unreasonable. I got a feeling that if this was his family he would want to go. To give an ultimatum is more unreasonable. You will make your own decision but what happens the next time he thinks strongly about something = he will threaten you with something. This is an important milestone. If you don't go you teach him that he can throw his weight around and get you to change your mind. That is not how couples handle their problems.

If this is helpful press accept