Karyn Jones
Karyn Jones, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  Diploma of Counselling and Transactional Analysis Counselling, Lifeline counselling, Pastoral Care.
44579284

I have recently started taking Effexor XR 150 mg once daily...how

I have recently started taking Effexor XR 150 mg once daily...how long does the side effect of trouble sleeping last..will it go away with time??
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Karyn Jones replied 5 years ago.
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX you for bringing your concerns to Just Answer...with regards XXXXX XXXXX antidepressant medication 'Effexor XL' and I am sorry to hear of your currently having to endure a side effect of it...
Whether you are tapering onto Effexor, changing your dose, or tapering off from Effexor, you will most likely see side effects...though, if you are experiencing noticeable effects that outweigh the benefits of this medication several months after you have changed, started or completed your Effexor dose, you will need to contact your doctor. The average person will experience a few side effects for about the first month after you have started Effexor...however, if you are still experiencing side effects after the first month, you will need to get back to see your doctor. You may also experience side effects about one month after changing your dose, and or if you decide to taper off this medication.These side effects are nothing to be alarmed about unless they include a rapid heart rate, confusion, hallucinations, suicidal thoughts, changes in blood pressure, irregular heartbeat, fever, seizures, coma, hives, or swelling of the face or mouth. If you do experience any of these symptoms, then its essential that you contact your doctor immediately as they can be signs of a dangerous interaction or reaction build up to Effexor.I know insomnia is a particularly unpleasant side effect of this medication...(though, the others aren't very pleasant either) but, because you have had a few adjustments recently, I would be inclined to give it a few more weeks to help settle back into your system Then if it still persists get back to your Gp to discuss other options open to you...
I do hope that my response has helped to clarify further for you ..in the meantime try to drink a warm glass of milk before bedtime and avoid caffeine induced drinks/sugars..try chamomile tea as it is also very good to promote sleep...
Please 'accept' my response if it has been helpful as it contributes much by way of keeping this valuable service going for you and others alike in the future...
Take good care now...and very best wishes
Karyn J (ClinicalDipCounBmin)
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
So you are saying my trouble sleeping is probably just a side effect and I shouldn't worry about it because it will most likely go away...I wasn't having this problem on 75 or 112.5. I am really trying hard not to worry about things as I am taking this for anxiety. I really appreciate your help. Thank you.
Hi there, very sorry for my late response and thank you for yours...Yes, insomnia is a side effect of this medication....and it will eventually diminish...but only if your dose is stabilized...( i.e. remains the same ) otherwise it will delay the benefits...so I would stick with your present intake of 150mgs suggested by your Dr and if this symptom persists after a week or two then please get back to your Dr to discuss further options open to you..as its not unusual for medications to cease to be of any further benefit once taken previously... He/she might well suggest another anti-anxiety altogether, that can be of help to you in the future... but will need to take into account your past and present medical history prior to doing this..
All the very best and I am sure that you will be reaping the benefits soon again...
very best wishes ..take good care now..
Karyn J