Steven Olsen
Steven Olsen, Therapist
Experience:  More than twenty years of expertise in counseling, psychological diagnosis and education
45885103

My mom was diagnosed with MS about a year ago, shortly after

My mom was diagnosed with MS about a year ago, shortly after she started vomitting it started out every once and awile and now it has progressed to several times a day. She has had every test that a dr can think of and everything is normal. Myself and the rest of my family is starting to think it is psych related due to depression and anxiety. I feel like when she got the MS diagnosis she thought she got a death sentance instead of figuring out how to cope and manage the disease. Do you think it is possible for psych related issues could be causing her to vomit all the time?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Steven Olsen replied 5 years ago.

It is very possible.

When we are exposed to life threatening worries or trauma our minds sometimes transfer the emotional issues into our physical world. It makes sense, for if you are nervous about a test or speech or similar your body tells you that you are worried by showing physical issues like: stomach problems, rashes, sweating etc. Our sympathetic nervous systems arouse this in us, and once done, it can cause the types of symptoms you describe.

The name of the type of disorder this is, is called: A Somatoform Disorder. This reaction is specifically called a conversion disorder, and was it identified even more than 100 years ago. It is treatable through therapy and emotional support.

I would certainly encourage mom to seek some emotional support. With it, I am very sure this behavior can be rectified. Steven