Kristin
Kristin, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  Licensed Mental Health Counselor. 11+ years specialist in mental health. Expertise and insight!
45544450

i have had panic disorder and depression for 25 yrs but have

Customer Question

i have had panic disorder and depression for 25 yrs but have done great taking 1 mg Xanax a day ,1 50mg Evavil a day, and 1 20 mg. Celexa. My doctor put me on Vicodin for sciatica 8 months ago. I take 3/4 of 7.5/750 per day. IF the pain worsens, I use ice pack and stretches because I refuse to take more Vic. My mom passed away 7 months ago and I had 2 months of severe anxiety and my dr. added extra(.25) Xanax only as needed. I got better and am back to 1 mg of Xanax. Now my big problem is depression is active after 20 years. It came out of nowhere a week ago. I cry, don't want to see anyone and am miserable. I have an appt with my MD tomorrow. Can you give me your take on this?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Kristin replied 3 years ago.

Hello and thank you for your question.

I'm sorry to hear about the passing of your mother... it could be that the depression has to do with grief over losing her? It sounds like you have successfully managed your anxiety through medication, which is good.

Has anything happened recently in your life, which you think could be causing you to feel down?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No, that's what is so strange about this relapse. I havent felt the serverity for this in 20 YEARS. s

Should we change meds, counseling???

Expert:  Kristin replied 3 years ago.

Since you are seeing your md tomorrow, I would definitely ask him/her about any medication change that may be needed and that now you are feeling depressed.

It sounds like you have managed your anxiety through medication and now that you are feeling so down, yes I would definitely recommend therapy/counseling for you to understand better what is going on. Again it could be grief from the loss of your mother and/or other issues that may have been repressed and not dealt with, or something else. It's really hard to say without further exploration, which is where the counseling comes in. If you would like to give me your zip code, I can provide a list of therapists for you, in your area, who also specialize in depression.

Please click ACCEPT button for this answer, and feel free to provide zip code and or continue discussion, even after clicking accept. Thank you.

Kristin, Mental Health Professional
Experience: Licensed Mental Health Counselor. 11+ years specialist in mental health. Expertise and insight!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Do you think the depression has anything to do with the Vic and am I in danger with the amt of Vic I'm taking.Depression and back pain are the pits! My zip is28139 and I prefer physciatry rather than physcology
Expert:  Kristin replied 3 years ago.
The question about the Vic I would ask your md tomorrow about that as they will be able to tell you for sure. If you are looking for therapy, then typically therapists will do the counseling such as a psychologist, whereas psychiatrists are more into medication management. So, do you still want a psychiatrist or therapists in your area?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Probably psychologist, because I'm wondering if the meds just aren't working and my wonderfulMD doesn't deal with too my cases such as mine. He has called the panic episodes as grief,and I agree but I feel I'm moving on, but who knows??? Thanks so very much for your attention.Wish meLUCK
Expert:  Kristin replied 3 years ago.
okay, can you tell me what city or counties you are nearby as well? thanks!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

HENDERSONVILLE,NC ASHEVILLE, NC AND CHARLOTTE NC

Expert:  Kristin replied 3 years ago.

Okay, thank you...here is a list of therapists in Hendersonville, and I've also narrowed it down to those treating depression. You can broaden the search to include the other areas if you would like....

I do wish you all the best! Thank you!

http://therapists.psychologytoday.com/rms/prof_results.php?sid=1306943860.3121_20143&city=Hendersonville&county=Henderson&state=North+Carolina&spec=2