Bill
Bill, LCSW, Consultant, Expert Witness
Experience:  35 years treating individuals, couples, families with mental health and substance abuse prob's
48585111

My 21 year old son was diagnosed with ADD about a year ago.

My 21 year old son was diagnosed with ADD about a year ago. He started college at 18 had a good year and half and then tanked. He blames his ADD for this, and i agree there is some issues especially when not interested in things. He takes concerta, but this offers no assistance from what i see. He has been basically non functioning for almost two years, how can i help him best

Bill :

Hello- Thank you for asking the question here at JustAnswer. I have read what you have written and am happy to respond.

Bill :

Are you available to chat now?

Customer:

yes

Customer:

any advise on next step here,

Bill :

Hello- Who is prescribing the Concerta?

Customer:

his general family doctor

Customer:

after a psych consult

Bill :

I have worked with ADD patients for over 30 years and I have always worked in concert with a psychiatrist who specializes in this area as medication is key and if you are not an expert in treating this, you find that the person may be getting the wrong medication, dosage etc.

Bill :

Is there any reason why your son can't see a psychiatrist to manage this?

Customer:

no

Customer:

but not sure he wants to really manage it, suspect possible self medication issues too, heavy use of caffiene--basically i am looking for what avenue i should steer him down, i know he is looking for a quick fix vs. trying to manage his situation, he had been a heavily structured person with athletics, strict schedule and functioned well, once the structure shifted to him, then he tanked it.

Bill :

I would definitely have a psychiatrist who sees alot of ADD patients (typically a Child and Adolescent Psychiatrist) that also sees adults is best as they have the most expertise in treating ADD.

Customer:

ok

Bill :

People with ADD often self medicate before they are properly diagnosed.

Bill :

Hold a sec and I will give you a link for referral directory

Customer:

i see that in him, i think there is a correlation between him starting to "party" it up and symptoms hitting heavily

Bill :

Certainly. Adolescents with undiagnosed ADD have significantly higher incidents of Substance Abuse and other self medication.

Customer:

yep

Customer:

in Amarillo texas area if that helps with possible referral information

Bill :

Ok. This is a great site for ADD info

Customer:

thanks

Customer:

well i do appreciate your help in this, probably more for me than my son,,,any strategies that have had more success than others in your opinion

Bill :

These are two doctors in Amarillo that would be helpful.

Customer:

he is 21,,is a child psych the best for him?

Bill :

Structure and in respect to college, he should share this diagnosis as he can should be getting accommodation for extra assistance.

Customer:

agree,,

Bill :

Child Psychiatrists typically see adults also, They have more expertise in medication management for ADD.

Customer:

i see,,thanks,,,appreciate your help,,,