Dr. Shirley Schaye
Dr. Shirley Schaye, Doctor
Experience:  PhD-Psych; Certif. Psychoanalyst NPAP& NYFS; Memb.APsaA;IPA; Pub.Author; Teach/Supervise Therapy
45897396

MY WIFE AND I HAVE BEEN MARRIED FOR 21 YEARS.WE JUST CANT SEE

Customer Question

MY WIFE AND I HAVE BEEN MARRIED FOR 21 YEARS.WE JUST CANT SEE EYE TO EYE.WE DONT AGREE ON ANNYTHING ANNY MORE.NOTHING IS WRIGHT IN MY WIFE EYES.I DONT SLEEP AT ALL.MY KIDS ARE GOING THROUGH HELL.HAVE NO MORE ANSWERS.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Shirley Schaye replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for contacting Just Answer. I am sorry to hear about what is going on between you and your wife. I see what you have written about the fact that she won't get help for herself. Will she consider marital therapy? Sometimes that eventually helps the person --- in this case your wife --- to then seek individual help. If she doesn't do that there is not much else you can do about her. What you could do is to go to therapy yourself to help you sort out what you are going to do --- stay or leave. Not only will you going to individual therapy help you sort out things but it may motivate her, by seeing you taking charge of your life, to go seek treatment, too, that might help the two of you get on track again. Without professional intervention, nothing will happen.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
WHO CAN I SEE FOR HELP
Where in South Africa do you live?
Go to the link I am providing you. Contact them and ask them for someone who is in your area. All people who are members of the South African Psychoanalytic Association have postgraduate training and are very able to help. You can go to this website and look at the link on the site that addresses the efficacy of psychodynamic treatment --- www.newyorkcitytherapists.net
Go to this link to find a therapist.
http://www.ipa.org.uk/Public/Society.php?ID=93007&language=eng