Bill
Bill, LCSW, Consultant, Expert Witness
Experience:  35 years treating individuals, couples, families with mental health and substance abuse prob's
48585111

My son is 3years and 9 months old. He is in preschool and has

My son is 3years and 9 months old. He is in preschool and has been there since last September. and seems to be doing well in school according to his teacher. He has been potty trained but for some reason he went poop in the sink instead of the toilet. Is this a reason for him to see a therapist or be evaluated?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Bill replied 3 years ago.

Bill :

Hello- Thank you for asking the question here at JustAnswer. I have read what you have written and am happy to respond.

Bill :

Hi- I am sorry to hear about this situation but having worked with children for over 30 years, I would not give much concern to this. Children at this age, as you know, are curious about everything and they will try to do things that may not make adult sense but is purely age appropriate curiosity.

Bill :

He won't know why he did it as at this age children have not completely developed their capacity for examining their own behavior in a way that and older child can. The idea came to him that and he acted on it.

Bill :

If you tell him that he is not to do this again, that it is wrong, he will have learned and should not repeat the behavior.

Bill :

If you have any follow up comment, I see that you are in chat.......please type now.

Customer:

Hi Bill,

Bill :

Hello-

Customer:

Thank you for response. I agree with your perspective on the matter. My ex-girlfriend and I have joint custody of our son and she is looking at this as being much more significant than it seems to me. We have been separated for eight months and she would like our son to go to therapy over this issue. I have repeatedly questioned his teachers to make sure he is adjusting well and they have repeatedly said he is doing fine. I am not sure how therapy would help him?

Bill :

You are exactly correct and No therapist (with any degree of ethical standards) would support seeing a child for this single episode.

Customer:

Thanks. I feel he is also a little young for therapy regarding our separation. Do you have an opinion regarding children going to therapy for divorce or separation? Just curious.

Bill :

I do, he is too young to benefit from therapy. Although he may have an emotional response you would see it in other acting out behavior, severe attachment issues, sleep problems, etc.

Customer:

Thank you. Guess my instincts have been correct. I really havent seen him acting out in ways inconsistent with the way he's always been and he seems to be more in control of his emotions as he has matured.

Bill :

If you see other atypical behaviors or emotional decline, then we can talk about some intervention but if he is functioning well as with most peers and reports from teachers are good, not to worry.

Bill :

I wish you the best.

Bill :

Bill

Bill :

PLEASE CLICK ACCEPT

Customer:

Thank you again. Do you have a CV or can I get it from the site? This is my first time using this.

Bill :

If you click on my screen name, I think you will get to my CV info

Bill :

you will have a copy of this chat in email.

Customer:

Thanks again. Good luck with your practice.

Bill :

You are most welcome.,

Bill :

Thanks,

PLEASE CLICK ACCEPT and I appreciate positive feedback

Bill, LCSW, Consultant, Expert Witness
Experience: 35 years treating individuals, couples, families with mental health and substance abuse prob's