Dr. Bonnie
Dr. Bonnie, Psychologist and RN
Experience:  35 years experience counseling children and families

my daughter is 8 years old, lately she has been using the bathroom

Customer Question

my daughter is 8 years old, lately she has been using the bathroom in her room, trying to hide it when i clean her room i find urine in the corner or feces spread on the rug or hidden in paper under her dresser, urine in a towel. i have noticed it a month ago and asked her about it, it stopped then o found it again. not sure what is going on with her why she is doing it and what can i do to help her.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for writing in JustAnswer.

Let me ask you a few questions first. Does she have any medical condition? Have you noticed any change in her behavior and mood lately?

Please let me know by clicking on “Reply” and I will then craft my response.
You are not charged until you receive a satisfying answer.

Please also allow a few hours for me to get back to you.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Warm Regards,
Expert:  Dr. Bonnie replied 5 years ago.
Hello and thank you for asking JA,

This behavior indicates that something is wrong. You need to start with a physical examination to rule out any infection or other problems that may be making her urine and stool involuntary or hard to control. She may not tell you because of her embarrassment.

Once the physical is ruled out, she should see a child psychologist to determine an emotional cause for this behavior...some possibilities include anxiety, depressed mood, attention problems. Once the cause is found a few sessions of therapy with some behavior management should help to improve the problem. You can ask her primary MD to suggest someone or your insurance plan.

Sorry it took so long for an answer...we were waiting for more information but thought we would answer without the I hope this was helpful...

Good luck...