Norman M.
Norman M., Principal psychotherapist in private practice. Newspaper contributor, over 2000 satisfied clients on JA
Experience:  ADHP(NC), DEHP(NC), ECP, UKCP Registered.

Hi. I took prozac back in January for a very short time but

Customer Question

Hi. I took prozac back in January for a very short time but developed eye pain so stopped it and it took 3 months+ to get better. I have now started sertraline 50mg 2 days ago and because it is also a SSRI I am terrified this happens again. Is there a high chance that it could or do all the SSRI's work slightly differently?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Norman M. replied 5 years ago.
All SSRI anti-depressants work in a similar way in thet they regulate your serotonin levels, but because they are all chemically different, they do not have the same side effects.

Eye pain can happen with Sertraline, but it is, I'm afraid, impossible to predict whether or not you will react the same way - it would just be a guess. If you do, you know to stop right away and contact your Doctor.

Sorry, but it is impossible to be more specific.