Fabio Goderecci
Fabio Goderecci, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MD, Specialist in Psychiatry & Psychotherapy

I am a 32 yr old female. I have been struggling with depression

I am a 32 yr old female. I have been struggling with depression and anxiety for over 10 yrs.
I discussed my symptoms with my dr last year and she prescribed Celexa 20mg. I tried to take
it as prescribed, but it caused horrible diarhhea, blurred vision, and fatigue. I have an appt
today because I continue to have panic attacks and theyre now dictating my life. What are some of the options for treating depression and anxiety. What meds have the fewest side effects
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Fabio Goderecci replied 3 years ago.

Fabio Goderecci :

Hello and thank you for your question to JA. I hope I will be able to help you. The medication you were prescribed is a SSRI medication (acts on depression by increasing brain serotonine reuptake) Especially people who suffer of anxiety associated with depression may experience and increase of anxiety and the painful side effects you describe here. There are many other medicines of the same type. Due to differences in constitution different people may react in a totally different way to side effects. So what I would suggest is to try another SSRI first. A good one could be Venlafaxine which acts on serotonine and noradrenaline and should have a good effect on anxiety and in average less side effects. Anyway keep in mind that different people may reacts in a very different way to side effects and there are also people who get side effects from virtualy all the SSRI medicines. One thing which might be tried if that is your case ( I would consider that your case in a situation where at least x 3 SSRI medications have been tried all bringing to unbearable side effects ) I would suggest to try as a medication for depression medicines like sulpiride or flupentixol at smaller doses. These act more through the dopamine pathway and may be an alternative to SSRI medication in the case of unbearable side effects. I hope this will help you.

Fabio Goderecci :

I see you are not at computer. I switch this to questions and answers so we can interact later in different times. Feel free to comment or ask more.

What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Please feel free to comment more if you wish so
Fabio Goderecci, Psychiatrist
Experience: MD, Specialist in Psychiatry & Psychotherapy