cathy
cathy, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  MS., MS.Ed., 30 years clinical and administrative experience in psychiatry and mental health
25773729

About 3 years ago , I was hospitalized when I had a nervous

Customer Question

About 3 years ago , I was hospitalized when I had a nervous breakdown and put on leponex and partane. I did a lot of research on the internet and decided I wanted to try to deal with my mental illness without drugs. I continued going to my psychiatrist but
over the 3 years gradually decreased my dosage from 350 mg a day to 100 then
50, 25, 12.5 and finally nothing. I did a similar thing with my partane. I did all the things recommended online such as getting activities maintaining close relationships with family and friends, taking natural medicines etc etc. Mentally, I feel great now. with the medication, I slept 12 hours a day,
had memory loss, couldn't focus and had flat emotions. I didn't feel like I was myself. Only one problem.since I stopped taking the medication completely , I haven't been able to sleep well. I feel tired but not irritated. I plan on taking therapy with a psychologist to keep me on track.
Only one thing.I haven't told my Psychiatrist I have tapered off the medication as she is a hard core believer in the necessity of medication. I respect her opinion but I don't agree with it and I've found examples of psychiatrists who also disagree.
My question is: How can I end this rebound insomnia?
Thank you.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  cathy replied 5 years ago.

cathy :

Hi and thanks for writing JA

cathy :

I am sorry we were not able to connect in chat. Most people do deal with mental illness without drugs by going to therapy which remains the gold standard in treating most illnesses yet you mention nothing about this in your post, can you tell us more about your attempts at therapy?

cathy :

thanks for the additional information so we can best help you from JA

cathy :

warm regards

cathy :

Cathy

JACUSTOMER-tlc3o3hm- :

I have not been in therapy but have asked my Psychiatrist for a referral.

JACUSTOMER-tlc3o3hm- :

In the past, I was in therapy and it helped me.

JACUSTOMER-tlc3o3hm- :

I have been in therapy in the past and my psychiatrist also does some therapy. I also asked her for a

JACUSTOMER-tlc3o3hm- :

referral for a psychologist

JACUSTOMER-tlc3o3hm- :

I have been in therapy in the past and it was helpful. I much prefer it to the anti-psychotic drugs I was on

JACUSTOMER-tlc3o3hm- :

still waiting.

JACUSTOMER-tlc3o3hm- :

Please answer my question about insomnia.Thanks.