Dr. Ed Wilfong
Dr. Ed Wilfong, Psychologist
Experience:  Twenty-five years treating all ages; Specialities: psychopharmacology & diagnosis, MMPI-2, testing.

I have been slowly weening off of xanax and I have gotten down

Customer Question

I have been slowly weening off of xanax and I have gotten down to an extremely small dosage-(1and1/2 of .25) Lately in the last week I have forgotten to take my morning dosage and I have experienced a horrendous depression by about noon- could this be the xanax withdrawal- I am also working on balancing hormones post-hysterectomy.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Ed Wilfong replied 5 years ago.

Dr. Ed Wilfong :

Doubtful it is xanax. You should be able to just quit. Most likely you need to be on an SSRI antidepressant. Sometimes they can cause some anxiety the first ten days before they help with both anxiety and depression, so starting SSRI while on xanax may make it easier. It may interest you to know that the chemicals influenced by antidepressants (neurotransmitters) are also technically hormones. Thus balancing hormones not only includes the ones you naturally think of, but also the ones related to depression and anxiety. Xanax can help with symptoms for about 4 hours but does nothing to correct underlying problem. SSRI's work to correct undelying issues of balance.

JACUSTOMER-khext4zn- :

My experience in the past is that depression comes on slow and is not helped by taking xanax-however if I double the dose to catch up the depression is totally gone by evening. My appetite is fine -I am not having problems focusing on work until I get into one of these dives-I am sleeping fine- I am also experiencing weird feelings at the same time which also disappear after the catch-up dose. I am extremely drug sensitive so that at the height of my anxiety ( right after the hysterectomy) the most I ever took was 1.50-I don't think the xanax is helping with depression unless it is physical dependence. I can't take SSRI's due to a neurological problem. This feels like a serious plummet that happens and then is gone. Does it still sound like depression?

Dr. Ed Wilfong :

Have been in hospital lasf fer ysars, Me be a ay to 5 days bofotr ai vsn repl