Karyn Jones
Karyn Jones, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  Diploma of Counselling and Transactional Analysis Counselling, Lifeline counselling, Pastoral Care.
44579284

I have a problem of telling little white lies over the past

I have a problem of telling little white lies over the past few months and it is now having a detrimental effect on me in relation to my friends and family losing their trust in me. How do i stop myself from doing this. I need help!
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Karyn Jones replied 3 years ago.
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX you for bringing your concerns to Just Answer..with regards XXXXX XXXXX very difficult and stressful situation...not an easy road to be on to say the very least..but thank you for reaching out for help...its a very good start.
You can stop compulsive lying once you are able to identify the problem. You may have obsessive traits that lead you to feel insecure and lies may seem to offer support. There may also be underlying emotional issues that lead to your inability to keep from telling the truth....though, anti-fib efforts can succeed if you put your mind to it.

There may be reasons that you may feel obligated to stretch the truth..so when you have a compulsion to lie, there is an underlying psychological force driving you to this behavior. This underlying force rests in your subconscious mind...and it is necessary to address the subconscious mind directly in order to overcome your lying habit.

Some people lie because they are afraid that the truth is not interesting enough... and others feel the urge because there is an element of excitement in getting away with telling a lie..only to find it has backfired. In some cases, the lies are simply reflexive in nature...and are habits that are difficult to break..but,! it can be done.

If you really want to stop lying, you can begin by determining how severe your tendency to lie really is... You may find that you really don’t stretch the truth too often, but the problem is enough that it has led you here to find support/guidance...so identifying the problem, no matter how minor, major is the first step.

A compulsion is a very difficult thing to break...and this is because there is a driving force that leads you to this behavior. However when you can’t stop telling lies, you may have an emotional or psychological reason for doing so...so the botXXXXX XXXXXne, is that the behavior needs to stop before it interrupts your life...any longer.

There are a few thoughts when it comes to a pattern or way of behaving. I believe that its necessary to delve deep into the reasons as to 'why' you feel you need to lie ?and the way that you go about it.? and what purpose does it fulfill ? Once you realize these two major points..then you can begin to address the problem, and train yourself to behave otherwise..Another way to address the problem and to rehabilitate yourself...would be by Hypnosis as this is a merging of the two schools of thought... and you are able to delve deep into your subconscious mind, which allows you to work through the complex inner emotions and motivations. You are also able to change your behavior by changing your thought patterns.

A self-hypnosis cd is a viable option that helps you break the habit of telling lies...and this approach is ideal because you can get the support you need in a discrete way and in the privacy of your own home.

Recordings can be found here –

http://www.hypnosis.com.au/stop-compulsive-lying-self-hypnosis-to-conquer-lying.html
I do hope that my reply has been of help to you..and I know that you can do this..and you will get through it..once again to develop caring, truthful, loyal, trusting, honest, open relationships in the future...Please 'accept' my response if it has been of help as it contributes much by way of keeping this valuable service going for you and others alike in the future..
Go well now and I wish you all the very best...
Best wishes
Karyn J (ProfClinicalDipCounBmin)
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Approximately 5 years ago i discovered that my father was not my true father. Do you believe that this could be the main factor i began to tell lies.
Hi there, and thank you for your reply ( and honestly and openness)..and I am very sorry to hear that...as it would have been a traumatic shock for you...it could have some impact you by of this behaviour...though, if your began lying at the same time then...I would say yes...if not and it started before this..then it goes much deeper..and you would benefit from seeking/working with a counsellor..
kind regards
Karyn
Karyn Jones, Mental Health Professional
Experience: Diploma of Counselling and Transactional Analysis Counselling, Lifeline counselling, Pastoral Care.