Dr. Olsen
Dr. Olsen, Psychologist
Experience:  PsyD Psychologist

My son is 6 and a half years old and still wets the bed at

Customer Question

My son is 6 and a half years old and still wets the bed at nighttime. What can I do to help him.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for writing in to Just Answer.

When did this behavior start?

Please let me know by clicking on "Reply" and I will then craft my detailed response. You are not charged until you receive a satisfying answer.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Warm Regards,
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
This has been ongoing. We stopped using a pull-up about a year ago because he had a couple of nights that were dry. We didn't want to go back to a pull-up eventhough he continued to we the bed at night.
Expert:  Penny Rayas, MFT replied 5 years ago.
Have you talked to your paediatrician to make sure is not a physical? I would try rewards such as stickers for each night he does not wet the bed. When he has enough stickers you can buy him a present or take him out for something like a meal. Shaming does not work. Some kids take longer than others. I would also try to not give him a lot of liquids before bed and ask him to go to bed before he goes to sleep. He will master this.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
We have tried that, but he will wet the bed two to three times per night. He is a very heavy sleeper and it is hard to wake him up even when we take him in to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night. He will fill two pull-ups even if he doesn't have any liquids after dinner. What would be a possible physical issue?
Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 5 years ago.
Hi there, I can help you with this issue.

I would advise you to try Urtine alarm (a.k.a. bell-and pad or moisture alarm) for his condition - enuresis. It is shown to be effective in up to 80% cases. The alarm rings when he begins to urinate during the night.

I also advise you to take him to his pediatrician for a physical check-up and consultation regarding enuresis. Medical reasons such as urinary tract infection may be a possible cause.

If he is physically fine, his condition may have to do with psychological issues such as separation anxiety and depression. He may need to work with a child psychologist/psychotherapist for assessment and individual therapy (play & talk therapy).

Please let me know if you have more questions or I have overlooked any.

P.S. Please remember to click the green accept button. You do NOT get charged the fee twice. Feel free to continue the discussion even after you press the accept button; my goal is to get you the best answers possible. Warm regards,
I am not sure what would the physical problem be, but one of my friends found out that her son had a virus
Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 5 years ago.
Hi there, Feel free to continue discussion with JA experts.

If you are satisfied with my answer, please click the green accept button so I can get paid for my time and work.

Please not hesitate to post any question or response.

Kind regards,
Dr. Olsen, Psychologist
Experience: PsyD Psychologist
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you I've just accepted the answer from Dr. Olsen. Not sure why I have to experts responding to my question. Sorry Pennyray, I cannot accept you answer as Dr. Olsen was responding first.

thanks so much for letting me know.. Good luck with your son.