Ask Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC Your Own ...

Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC
Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
54658078

I have been feeling blue and not quite myself for about 6 months.

I have been feeling blue and not quite myself for about 6 months. I have a great job that pays very well and I also own my own business. My son just graduated from college and has a job, my daugher is going into her senior year in high school and is in the top 10% of her class and will be able to pick where she wants to go to school. I have been married 27 years. Most people think I should be the happiest person alive. Well, I'm not. My question is as follows: Should I go to a counselor and talk or should I see my general doctor for a mild anti-depressant? I want to feel like my old self again and I don't know where to start.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC replied 3 years ago.

Hi, I'd like to help you with your question.

It sounds like you do have some mild depression. It is not uncommon for people to experience depression at sometime during their lives. Success in life has little to do with whether or not you experience depression. It is usually about a deeper unresolved issue. If you have felt this way throughout most of your life, then you could have a mild depressive disorder called Dysthymia. Dysthymia is characterized by chronic, mild depression that appears more days than not and lasts a minimum of two years.

The best option for you is to see a counselor. While medication is a good choice if you feel you cannot cope and get through the basics everyday, it will not solve the issue that is making you feel depressed. Counseling can help you work out why you feel depressed and help you learn ways to resolve it. Sometimes, it is just the act of sharing how you feel in counseling that helps your mood lift and helps you feel better.

To find a counselor, talk with your doctor about a referral. Or you can search on line at http://therapists.psychologytoday.com/rms/.

You can also help yourself. There are several good resources about depression. Here are some to help you get started:

Beating the Blues: New Approaches to Overcoming Dysthymia and Chronic Mild Depression by Michael E. Thase M.D. and Susan S. Lang

The Depression Cure: The 6-Step Program to Beat Depression without Drugs by Stephen S. Ilardi

Undoing Depression: What Therapy Doesn't Teach You and Medication Can't Give You by Richard O'Connor

You can find these books on Amazon.com or your local library may have them for you.

Let me know if you have any further questions I can help with,

Kate

Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC, Therapist
Experience: Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.