Ask Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC Your Own ...

Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC
Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.

Help with Mother issue

I wonder if you can help me figure out how to handle a situation with my mother. I'm going to copy and paste some letters I received and responded to, but would prefer to do so in a chat. Does anyone have time to chat with me? Thanks so much!! I don't think it'll take that long. I'd love some help now? Thanks :-)
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC replied 3 years ago.

Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, L :

HI, I can help. What is going on with your mother?

Customer:

Hi! Thank you sooo much.

Customer:

Would you mind if I cut and paste the correspondence I've had with my mom?

Customer:

It'll be easier than trying to explain everything.

Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, L :

Not at all. Go right ahead.

Customer:

Okay-- to sort of explain a bit first, my mom left my dad last year after 38 years of marriage, and it was very horrible and ugly.

Customer:

She moved across country to Virginia with a man she met on the internet.

Customer:

Very "Jerry Springer" like situation.

Customer:

She hasn't spoken to me more than once every other month ever since and it's created a big rift in our relationship.

Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, L :

Ok, I understand

Customer:

So here's her email to me after a sort of angry instant message session

Customer:

sent what I thought was a gentle email to Ming letting him know I missed his choosing to not visit and hoping he'd discuss it some. So far he hasn't responded but I sent it rather late yesterday, he might not have even read it yet. I'm not trying to pressure him, just want some dialogue to open between us.

Do you have anything else you want to say to me about my leaving, or anything related to it?

The situation just sort of blew up, it was highly dramatic, and certainly not something anyone was prepared to handle well. I never expected to have that happen, and I didn't master my feelings well at that time. That's not an excuse, just seeing that was the case and so it went badly. As a person, I simply responded to emotions that had been virtually bottled up and my frustrations with your father just ballooned. His constant need to be in some state of house construction, his loud music, his lack of helping me in the house, his love of Yin, Pat's presence... his medication issues, and just the stress around me. No, I wasn't perfect and I was overweight, but it didn't help my weight that he wasn't interested in improving our eating habits and resisted. I found a focus to get me out of it and I became totally de-focused from all else. I felt you and Ming (and Nicky for that matter) were adults and others told me that you all were adults and my leaving shouldn't be that traumatic. Apparently it wasn't any better that I left when you all were adults than if I'd left when you were kids, or maybe it would have been worse, I don't know.

You said that you were OK with my leaving your father, but not OK with my leaving California, or maybe leaving you all. I'm not clear what you weren't OK with, but I couldn't #1 afford to stay anywhere near the Bay Area, #2 your father would never leave me alone if I was near by #3 I had a person with whom I'd made plans, or felt I had. It wasn't all one thing or the other, but a combination. I also felt I'd be more at "home" if I ended up by myself in Virginia. I am not saying this to dismiss how upset you all were. I know you told me that what upset you was my silence. There were lots of things that kept me quiet, and I've found out since that much of that was pointless, but there were fears about legal aspects of the situation that made me feel I needed to maintain non disclosure in general.

This may not satisfy you and you may still have a burning desire to be angry, but its what I see as the truth, and I can only do so much and if you can't forgive me then I'll have to accept that. I know I have no desire to mend fences with Nicky, or Helen. Maybe if they apologized, or tried to explain themselves, but I won't seek it out.

I live a quiet life for the most part. I fish, I swim, I plant things. I spend some time with Joan. I did visit my cousin Ellen from time to time. I visited Bruce's parents but that's pretty much over, as his family is not someone he's close to. I think it was more my curiousity that lead us there in the first place, but they aren't a "together" bunch for the most part and I have no desire to connect with them. They'd probably like to, but I've sort of been down that road in my former life.

So I leave it here, and see what you have to tell me.

Love

Mom
Customer:

Let me know when you're done reading that and I 'll send my response.

Customer:

(Bruce is her boyfriend, Nicky's my sister, Helen's my aunt)

Customer:

Joan's her best friend

Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, L :

Ok, I'm done. What about the letter is bothering you?

Customer:

Ok, let me send my response to her

Customer:

Hi Mom...

Sorry it's taken me a while to write back- I am thinking about what to say. I went and looked through a few of my old emails from you that you
sent when I complained to you before about your non-communication, and your response to me back then was almost identical to the one you just sent
me this morning. So, I'm thinking that whatever it was I said or however I responded to you before wasn't effective in putting my point across? Or maybe
there isn't going to be any way for me to respond that will make any sense to you and not sound like I'm just going on and on, not being an "adult", etc.

Here is an article about Adult Children of Divorce:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2009/mar/14/divorce-adult-offspring-acods

I don't think that we are the only ones who are devastated and stressed out at this happening. Everyone's situation is different, but I feel like
what happened in our family was a VERY bad situation because of the way Dad is, and just being totally abandoned with him when all of
this went down. There's an overwhelming feeling that you "should've" stayed to fix your own messes, no matter how uncomfortable you
were with the situation. By fixing your own messes, I mean packing up your own stuff (Ming and I didn't enjoy doing that. One of the
worst days ever, ever, ever. Not only that, but you left things off of your list that we were hurt that you didn't remember to ask for, like
gifts we had given you. The whole thing left a very bad taste in our mouths because it just seemed like you were asking for what you wanted
and we had to bust our asses getting it for you even though the pain of it all was overwhelming and upsetting and just makes my stomach turn
to remember it.), it would've been great if we had all gotten together for a last "meeting" where you stated in front of all of us and Dad why
you were leaving and just put it out there. Because Ming and I had to deal with daily phone calls and emails from dad asking,
"WHYYYYYYYY DID SHE LEAVE? I WAS THE PERFECT HUSBAND!!" We all know that's bullshit, but we sure as hell aren't going
to be the ones to open his eyes to that truth. So basically, I feel like you took a huge dump on the Huey family in San Francisco and left Ming
and me to clean up your shit. (I'm not going to dwell on your ditching Merlin with me because I don't think you would've been able to take
very good care of him, being so focused on yourself as you are right now.)

From what I've heard, the phone calls and emails to Dad you did do were mostly calls to him asking about your stuff and your money, etc. He'd tell
me that you told him something that I told YOU in confidence. This made me REALLY lose trust for you- it made me feel like you would do anything
in the world to get your precious money and furniture and burn every bridge to get your $$$$$$ dollars and material goods. Seemed so greedy
and selfish. I am NOT saying that you don't deserve your fair share, but I would say that you had a legal ruling saying that you would
get such and such items and such and such an amount of money. What's the point in calling dad and getting him all upset so that he'd call
me, all upset and asking "WHYYYYYY did your mother say this or that??!?!?!" And I don't care who gets what money and who gets what
item of furniture- I have no power over that crap at all but I couldn't just tell dad to stfu and leave me alone. He was truly sad and you know what?
I feel like Dad has made a point in calling me and talking to me through all of this, even though he has a girlfriend. Dad may have his faults
but I understand that mostly what he wants in life is love and respect, even though he goes about it ALL wrong. Dad's not perfect, but it's like
I understand his motives in doing things for the most part. Maybe you and Dad were toxic for each other- I'm thinking that is probably the case.
Dad has changed a little bit since you've left, so even though it hurt a lot for you to leave, it was good for him in a lot of ways. Anyway, I digress.

What it boils down to, is that you seem to have started a new life which is okay, you fill your days doing leisurely things, which is also okay, but you
have failed to take a few minutes in your day to let us talk to you about the MESS we've had to deal with. It just seems like you owed us a sympathetic
ear during all of this crap, but you didn't want "guilt trips" and you didn't want to hear it, even though it was our reality EVERYDAY. You got out of
things scott-free, with a big hunk of money, some real estate, a new boyfriend and a new life and never ever had to deal with it. We had to deal with
it every single day. The least you could've done is be there to LISTEN while we cried and mourned over the mess going on over here. Instead, Ming and I
had to walk through our days, our jobs, our personal lives, dying inside with no one but each other to talk about the pain with.

Having said all of this, which you have heard before, I guess it's now my responsibility to try to communicate to you what it is I want in our relationship in
order to feel less "angry" , as you say, or maybe what it really is, is that I've lost trust and a lot of respect for you. I'm not sure that what I want is something
that you can deliver. What I want is for you to treat me like I'm your daughter instead of some kind of stranger or pen-pal. I really did a LOT for you, getting
you whatever information you needed, listening to you crying about Bruce not calling, getting you a room at the Hotel Rex when you came back to San Francisco, helping Ming pack up all your stuff to send you, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. Please don't only talk to me when you are itching for gossip or info about Dad's new life.
Maybe I've never felt that close to you in the first place, and it's all coming up now that I never see you or talk to you anymore. Maybe it's not possible to ever have a very normal relationship with you, ever. But I would at least like to be able to talk to you without feeling rage or emotional pain. I would like that a lot, and I'm sure that would be more comfortable for you, too.

Your email that you just sent was not so good. Sounds like you are talking to a business contact or something. Why do you always hold me at arm's length?
You know what I think about sometimes that makes me feel sad? I feel like when you have cried or shown emotion to me, it is over something that has happened to YOU. You have never cried or shown emotion because you feel badly about what I've been through. Aren't mothers supposed to care about their kids in that way? Oh right- the one other time I've seen you cry or show emotion was when you were so worried about Nicky's money problems. Well, hello- I've had money problems. And I have a kid and other problems too, and have had to pay a huge debt back to you even though I'm still suffering a lot for that in two ways- Giuseppe's anger at me for not keeping better track of the debts, Giuseppe's anger at me for having a mom that lends money and demands it all back within two weeks. That was also a real cheesy thing to have done to me. I had paid you on time and faithfully as we agreed, but all of a sudden you wanted that cash back, even if it meant you had to call Giuseppe at work every day and harass him. Yes, I know about that. I've heard about it a million times.

So, back to what it is that I want for us for the future. Stop acting like nothing happened and everything should be cool between us. You haven't paid your "dues" yet, as far as I'm concerned. Everything is NOT okay. It's going to take some actual work and communication (if you are willing to go through the bother) to mend the fences that have been damaged. We're just going to have to take it one day at a time. Ignoring the problem will not make it go away. By communication, I mean maybe emailing me to ask how things are going, to maybe try to stop hiding things from me-- I don't know why you don't trust me, I've never done anything to deserve that.

What I truly hope is that you don't continue running away from reality, and you try to face the issues and get past them. I know it's difficult but I think that it will be worth it in the long run. If you want my take on things, I think there are a lot of things that have happened to you in your life that you have never really dealt with. You tend to stuff things down into your subconscious or just try to ignore it or pretend it isn't there. But you know what? The more you ignore it, the longer it stays with you, whether you like it or not.

I'm kind of baring my soul, here. It's uncomfortable for me to do this because I know that I will probably be disappointed in return. So I will think of this as a journal entry and try not to expect much. I'm sorry that I feel this way right now, but I hope I am wrong.

Customer:

(sorry, I know it's long)

Customer:

My question has to do with the response she gave me to this letter

Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, L :

Ok, go ahead and post the next letter.

Customer:

Ok :)

Customer:

I thought about all that you said to me in my email, and wrote some "in my defense" answers, or at least trying to clarify why somethings happened and why I had no control, or felt a lack of control, or felt that trying to control the situation was costly in some way beyond what I wanted to sacrifice for my own good.

I thought about my own parents and relatives, and realized there were many episodes in my life that I was subject to something that was decided or done "to me" over which I had no say or lacked the ability to resolve and I didn't forgive or get over resenting, held a long term grudge or just wrote the person off as hopeless. That is true with my parents, my in laws, my siblings and my daughter Nicky, and my recent ex-husband, your father.

In none of those cases did those individuals recognize what they'd done was hurtful, or did they apologize in any meaningful way, or could they bring themselves to say they were sorry it went down the way it did. They all felt justified, and or simply were clueless. They all were self involved and completely lacked any idea how much what they did hurt or disturbed my peace of mind or sense of fairness. I didn't want to deal with them for the most part as a result. When my father was dying or at least on his way to his last hospital stay he reached out and said "I love you"... he didn't say he was sorry, or say he had done wrong, but tried to get back an "I love you too".. I ignored him, gave him a stony look and never said anything. Fred beat me when we were a young couple, over an incident that I won't elaborate about. He never acknowledged it after the fact, he did say he was sorry once, and did refrain from that sort of violence afterward but he tried hard to sweep it under the rug so to speak, because that is very human. He did other things, I just don't want to go there talking about it.

Well, you may not be able to forgive me, you may always hold a grudge against me, but I am truly sorry you all were hurt in my actions, I do think I was a bit crazed, and it would have been the "right" thing for me to be there to pack my things and I did not want you all involved in that at all in fairness to my intent, but your father refused to get others to do it, and Bruce did feared my coming back could lead to my being harmed, and I was fearful, so I was a chicken and didn't go back. Plus I dreaded being in your father's presence in general, didn't want to leave Bruce behind... he couldn't get on a plane and go with me, and he was still in the middle of divorcing and trying to keep his whereabouts secret. We tried to "pretend" he was not there with me, because we weren't sure his wife even knew. Turns out she did and it was a waste of time worrying about it, but we didn't know.

As to whether I leaked confidences to your father during that time, I really think it was likely that he "pretended" I told him things to you all because he is wily that way, I don't think I ever said much of anything and told him you all weren't talking to me, so he was doing his own "testing" to see how you'd react. I don't know what he did exactly, and I don't remember every single thing I said, but it was not blatant "telling on you" on my part, I kept an extremely low profile.

I do care very much about you, Ming, FJ and G. You are my real blood relatives outside of UJ and Ellen. Bruce and I are the "other" family to each other, we are obviously with each other and that means that's where I spend my time, but I haven't forgotten you all, and think about you every day. What that translates into on a practical level I don't know, but you are part of me, and I am and always will be part of you, whether you have resentments or not. I suppose I even still think about Nicky, but I've written her off as hopelessly annoying, and I even think about your father sometimes, but only in the sense I hope he's OK and finding himself in a better situation.

So, I'm sorry, and deeply saddened that it went badly, I truly do understand how awful it was, it pains me to think of how rough it was on you and Ming. I guess it wipes out to some extent all that I did before that for you and Ming, and I don't expect anything in return in the future, but every card, every email means a lot to me and I try to hear what is going on and keep in touch. That's all that's left to me for the most part.

I do hope we can repair our relationship and be friends and treat each other in an adult way, free of guilt, recriminations and fear. It's really for the best.
Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, L :

so what do you feel stands out most and bothers you about your relationship with your mother?

Customer:

Well, I'm not sure how to respond to her email because I'm completely disgusted with her inability to think of anyone but herself.

Customer:

I don't know if I should just write her off completely, or keep trying.

Customer:

What do you think of the letters? Are you picking up the same thing I am?

Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, L :

It sounds like she is trying to make a connection. Although I do understand your feeling that she abandoned you and left a mess for you when she left. She does seem somewhat distant in her letters but there also is a touch of her trying to understand. It may be that she does not know how to be in touch with her own feelings so she either mimics what she feels would work or she is unable to understand at all.

Customer:

I feel pretty frustrated because she didn't address anything I said in my letter- she just talked about herself, you know?

Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, L :

Yes, I see what you are saying. I also think you may be feeling abandoned and frustrated because she left without your input or including you in the process. It would be very painful to feel you are not important enough to be part of the situation when she left.

Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, L :

And she is not putting you first in the situation now either.

Customer:

Well... she included me in the process to the extent that she used me to get what she wanted.

Customer:

I told her that I felt really, really used by her.

Customer:

She didn't respond.

Customer:

I feel like she didn't even read my letter!!

Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, L :

Yes. That is very common when you deal with someone who is thinking of themselves. She may be narcissistic. Has she always treated you this way?

Customer:

Yes, ma'am.

Customer:

She always has.

Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, L :

Then you are probably hitting the nail right on the head. It sounds like she does have a personality disorder.

Customer:

How do I deal with a narcissistic person?

Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, L :

In that case, you are probably going to have to keep a distance.

Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, L :

Most people who are narcisstic do not see their own behavior for what it is.

Customer:

She wants to come to California to visit my daughter. She made a date in August, and now she wants to change it to July. She told me that she wants to change it because Bruce's daughter had originally made a date to visit Bruce in August and changed it to July. So, she was coming out here to get away from Bruce's daughter, not to visit Francie.

Customer:

I just found that out this morning.

Customer:

I wonder if I should tell her to not bother to visit? She already bought the tickets. I feel like she just doesn't understand why she's unacceptable.

Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, L :

It actually might be a great chance for the two of you to work on this issue. What do you feel about seeing a therapist together?

Customer:

I would be okay, but my mother hates seeing therapists.

Customer:

Plus I don't think I could solve it in a week, you know?

Customer:

I'm trying not to be pessimistic, but I don't know.

Customer:

Just feeling confused.

Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, L :

Let her know that you feel it is essential to fixing your relationship. Also, it may be useful even for one session. Or you could try to set aside time to talk it all out, no holds barred.

Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, L :

What do you feel it would take to work this out? What are you comfortable with?

Customer:

hm...

Customer:

I don't know. I am so tired of being pushed away and being disappointed.

Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, L :

I understand. I think your mother is trying but you do have a lot of hurt from this relationship.

Customer:

I know there are no guarantees in life, but I feel like it will really take a lot out of me emotionally, and I just started getting over all of this

Customer:

to open all the wounds again... it would hurt.

Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, L :

There are some resources that might help you. Are you ok with me recommending some?

Customer:

sure.

Customer:

It says that it's for up to 16 year old children?

Customer:

My mom already says I act like a child... I don't think that I've been acting like a child, do you?

Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, L :

It may be a good idea if the two of you do some outside work first and come together to talk about what you learn. Start slow. Acknowledge your pain. Respect each other but be free to express your feelings.

Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, L :

On the one book, it is the principles that apply, not necessarily the age.

Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, L :

No you are not acting like a child. This is a very real and very adult situation.

Customer:

Yes, I think that's a good idea, recommending some reading for her. But she's a know-it-all

Customer:

she acts all the time like no-one can teach her anything

Customer:

but I will certainly give it a try.

Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, L :

Well, you want to be able to say you did try. Giving up now, you may always wonder if you could have done something else to make it work. But by giving it your all, you can say you really did try.

Customer:

That's true. I feel like she doesn't deserve all my effort- she was a lousy mother.

Customer:

Neglected me and abused me, and cheated on my father the whole marriage.

Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, L :

You may also want to consider therapy just for yourself to help you cope with how you feel. Mother and daughter relationships are very important and affect people very strongly.

Customer:

Stood there watching while he beat me without intervening, etc.

Customer:

Oh I've been in therapy and still am-- I'm trying to repair my marriage right now

Customer:

so the therapist I'm talking to now is helping with my marriage

Customer:

But i just got out of 2 years of very expensive therapy before I started marriage counseling

Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, L :

Since she abused you, that is even more important. That is very traumatic and it is even more understandable why you feel so strongly about her behavior. A lot of abusers are self centered.

Customer:

That's true.

Customer:

I don't feel sadness about it anymore, just wondering the next steps to take

Customer:

thank goodness I've dealt with all of my past

Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, L :

I think you are on a good path. You sound very level headed about this and very in touch with your feelings. Accepting that your mother is flawed and that you may be only able to have a limited relationship with her is probably the best thing for you. You seem very able to work with this and the limitations it brings.

Customer:

Thank you very much for your help. Sometimes I wonder if I'm being overly-sensitive (I was always told I was while growing up), or just being sensible.

Customer:

I have to think of what's best for MY daughter, too.

Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, L :

No you are not over sensitive, just very hurt. But for what you have gone through, you have done very well.

Customer:

Thank you! I do feel better. I will think about my next steps, knowing that I am not over-reacting or being silly.

Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, L :

I'd like to recommend one more book for you. It is called Adult children of Abusive parents by Steven Farmer. It is an excellent book that I believe will speak to you about your situation.

Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, L :

You are very welcome! I am glad I could help.

Customer:

Okay, I will order it!

Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC, Therapist
Experience: Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.