Ask Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC Your Own ...

Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC
Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
54658078

Im feeling very depressed at the moment. Hate my job, feeling

Im feeling very depressed at the moment. Hate my job, feeling very lonely, ugly,unloved,dont trust my friends,my partner. Sometimes I just want to get drunk and forget about the troubles ( I know its not a solution ).
It happens once a month before period. Is it normal? Do I need to see a specialist?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC replied 3 years ago.

Hi, I'd like to help you with your question.

Yes, it is normal to feel these types of emotions as part of PMS. Almost every woman experiences some type of emotional and physical change right before they have their period. It is because of hormones and not necessarily what you really feel (or at least that strongly). You mentioned thinking about drinking so you could forget what you feel but that you know it is not the answer. This tells me that you are feeling overwhelmed but that you are thinking logically, which is a healthy sign.

What you want to watch out for is if these feelings cause you to have trouble with your daily activities. For example, you stop going to work, refuse to see friends, family or your partner, feel so depressed you are not eating, feel suicidal, etc. This would indicate that either you need a check up with your doctor to see if something is wrong physically, or you need to see a therapist.

If you feel normal the rest of the month (normal as in your moods fluctuate but not drastically), then you are probably fine. It would not hurt to mention how you feel to your doctor at your next gynecological exam just in case he/she wants to explore it further. There also may be some medications that your doctor can prescribe to help you feel better when you have PMS.

I hope this has helped,

Kate

Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC, Therapist
Experience: Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.