Kristin, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  Licensed Mental Health Counselor. 11+ years specialist in mental health. Expertise and insight!

Remeron for menopausal insomnia.

Customer Question

I was prescribed Remeron for menopausal insomnia. How long does the sleepiness take to wear off during the day? I take 1/4 of the 15mg tablet at bedtime.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Kristin replied 5 years ago.

Hello and thank you for your question...

Can you tell me how long you have been taking the Remeron?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
On May 17th prescribed 30mg. Took the first tablet at bedtime and couldn't even walk for 24hrs. It was awful. I skipped the 18th. Took a 1/4 for 3 nights. It was debilitating still at this dose. Also affected my vision. My tension has returned, so I took 1/8th of the tablet and I don't feel as doppy on it. Also I take zopiclone to sleep.
Expert:  Kristin replied 5 years ago.

Okay thank you for this information.

That is a severe side effect to not be able to walk obviously and should not be happening, so it was good to taper down the dosage. I would hope that you also consulted your prescribing doctor about this reaction, and that they told you how to taper down, suggestions, etc.

I would suggest that you try the medication for another week and see how you respond. If you are still sleepy during the daytime, then I would suggest you do look into stopping the medication, and perhaps switching to another medication. If you continue to feel sleepy, definitely contact your doctor and ask for a change in medication. So, don't delay more than 7 more days if your drowsiness persists. Hope this helps.... please click ACCEPT button for this answer, and feel free to continue the discussion even after clicking accept. Thank you.

Expert:  Kristin replied 5 years ago.

Did you have any more questions for me? If so, please do ask...otherwise, please do click on accept so I'm credited for my help today. Thank you.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
What exactly does Remeron do for you?
Expert:  Kristin replied 5 years ago.

Remeron is an antidepressant medication that is typically prescribed for major depressive disorder....

It helps to relieve the symptoms of depression primarily but can also be used for other issues as well, such as what your doctor prescribed it for you.