AgapeDoc
AgapeDoc, Psychologist
Experience:  Dr. W. D. Nicholas will help you find solutions to life's challenging issues.
55589990

what is cognitive-behavioural and person-centred counselling,what

what is cognitive-behavioural and person-centred counselling,what difference is there between the two approaches to the counselling relationship.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  AgapeDoc replied 3 years ago.

AgapeDoc :

Thanks for reaching out to me at Just Answer - let me see if I can answer your question..

AgapeDoc :

OK... There are similarities and differences between these two therapy approaches. In person centered (sometimes called client centered) the client is at the "center" or is the focus of the therapy. In this approach it is presumed that the client actually has all the answers to his or her problems and the therapist serves as a "guide" to lead the client to figure out or discover what he or she wants. In this approach the therapist asks probing questions and listens very intently to the answers. In this approach the therapist does not consider himself the expert, but considers the client the expert. The client is not seen as being sick in need of a cure, but is seen as being stuck in need of someone to listen to him or her and to validate his or her feelings and position.

AgapeDoc :

In cognitive behavioral therapy or CBT the therapists uses many of the techniques that a client centered therapist would use - such as listening intently and asking probing questions. But in CBT the goal is to lead the client to realize that he or she has some irrational thoughts which are leading to problematic behaviors. In CBT the therapist takes the position that the client is in need of cognitive restructuring. In order to achieve this the therapist designs and assigns homework between sessions - the homework is designed to get the client to (little by little) make changes in his thoughts and behaviors until the desired (functional) thoughts and behaviors are achieved. In CBT the therapist challenges the client's thoughts and sometimes uses therapeutic confrontation to make the client realize that his thought and behaviors are not rational.

Customer:

could you include some examples of the difference

AgapeDoc :

Sure....

AgapeDoc :

CBT therapist might work with a client to help him get over his irrational fear of climbing stairs. The therapist will engage in a dialogue about how stairs are helpful and how stairs allow us to go to new places and get to new floors, etc. Then the therapist will have the client go up one stair and discuss how nothing bad happened at that point. In subsequent sessions the client will go up another step and so on until they get to the top of the stairs.

AgapeDoc :

This approach can work for other issues, such as fear of being outside, fear of elevators, and etc. But it not only works for fear issues, but virtually everything that a client is needing help with.

AgapeDoc :

In the Client Centered Therapy approach, the therapist will ask lots of questions and direct the conversation based on what the client says. For example:

AgapeDoc :

Therapist: What brings you in today

AgapeDoc :

Client: I'm having trouble getting along with my wife

AgapeDoc :

Therapist: Tell me more

AgapeDoc :

Client: She always seems too busy for me.

AgapeDoc :

Therapist: So, your feeling left out of her life.

AgapeDoc :

Client: Yes, that's it. And I don

AgapeDoc :

and I don't like it - I work hard and when I come home I want her to spend some time with me

AgapeDoc :

T: So you feel somewhat cheated and want to get some validation for what you bring to the relationship

AgapeDoc :

C: That is so true! I earn the money to keep the house going and she's happy to live in a nice house, but she spends all her time with her friends - she has them over when I get home and I don't even feel good about being home sometimes

AgapeDoc :

T: What happens when you bring this up to her...

AgapeDoc :

And that's how the conversation would continue until the client sees clearly what HE wants to do about the situation. Hopefully you can see why this is called client centered. It would take quite a while in this forum to go through the whole process, but the client would eventually come to realize that there is something he has missed doing that will lead him to happiness.

AgapeDoc :

I hope this helps - let me know how I'm doing :)

Customer:

just one more ,what would be the similarities,thanks for putting the answers in plane english.

Customer:

what is the constructivist revolution,also solution-focus therapy. i meant plain english

AgapeDoc, Psychologist
Experience: Dr. W. D. Nicholas will help you find solutions to life's challenging issues.