AgapeDoc
AgapeDoc, Psychologist
Experience:  Dr. W. D. Nicholas will help you find solutions to life's challenging issues.
55589990

My question concerns my oldest son, 27 years of age. He has

My question concerns my oldest son, 27 years of age. He has suffered from anxiety problems since high school, but graduated and has also graduated from college. His career so far has been very difficult and disappointing due to his rather general degree and poor economy, but he has been employed. He just told me that he has been taking prescription Xanax since college for anxiety, and has effectively doubled or more the prescription dose, drinking fairly heavily when he runs out. Anxiety and depression do run in the family. He had an assessment at an addiction hospital in Atlanta (Peachford) and they strongly recommended treatment, but he has no insurance, so an inpatient withdrawal is unaffordable. What can be done for him, how should withdrawal from Xanax be handled, will outpatient therapy and/or AA be effective, and are there any other suggestions for success and handling his anxiety and depressive issues in the future?

AgapeDoc :

Thanks for contacting me here at Just Answer... Let's see if I can answer your question

AgapeDoc :

Well, by all means this should be done under the guidance of a licensed physician (it's the getting off the Xanax that is most concerning). Outpatient therapy can be successful and AA or NA can be helpful, but in my opinion it will take more that AA or NA alone.

AgapeDoc :

I haven't heard that he desires to get off the medication and that is the most important piece to the puzzle.

AgapeDoc :

As far as other suggestions to handle the anxiety and depression there are some good ones. One that has worked quite well is hypnotherapy. I am not a certified hypnotherapist, but I have referred many of my clients with anxiety and other issue to certified hypnotherapists and it has worked out quite well in every case that the client truly wanted help changing her/his thoughts and behaviors. Again, the key here is, does your son want to change?

AgapeDoc :

It will take a fair amount of work, but in addition to hypnotherapy, he would be wise to consider his diet and sleep patterns. A good holistic nutritionist can help with the diet and the hypnotherapist can help with guidance with the sleep/rest patterns. It's important to make sure that you get a certified hypnotherapist if this is the route you decide to go.

AgapeDoc :

How am I doing so far?

Customer:

Very well, thank you. I had not heard of hypnotherapy for anxiety problems. In any case, he wants very much to get off the medication but is not sure how to proceed and is afraid of withdrawal. Do you have any reference to an addiction counselor and/or hypnotherapist in the Atlanta area?

AgapeDoc :

I am happy to hear that he wants to get off the meds. Hypnotherapy is quite effective for many things including managing anxiety as well as conquering any number of additions so I feel good about the direction this could go. Unfortunately I don't have any connections for someone in Atlanta - but the best thing I can say is just make sure the therapist is licensed and is also certified in hypnotherapy. It shouldn't be hard to find a number to select from.

AgapeDoc :

Thanks and if I have been helpful, please don't forget to click on the green accept button so I can get credit for my answer. Let me know how it goes and I wish you all the best.

Customer:

Thanks for your assistance.