Kristin, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  Licensed Mental Health Counselor. 11+ years specialist in mental health. Expertise and insight!

I started taking Prisiq 50mg four days ago for depression.

I started taking Prisiq 50mg four days ago for depression. I understand that the blurred vision, dry mouth, constipation which I'm experiencing as known side effects. However, I'm concerned about my increasing sense on unreality/feeling removed or detached from my surroundings and disturbingly, people. Would/could you address this concern, please?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Kristin replied 5 years ago.

Hello and thank you for your question.

It sounds like what you are experiencing is called 'depersonalisation' and this can be a possible side effect from the Pristiq. It may not be on the most common side effects but it can occur with this medication. Depersonalisation is when you feel disconnected from yourself and your surroundings and others (as you mentioned), and also where you feel like you are outside of your body, or an observer of yourself.

You can either wait to see if this side effect goes away in the next week or two, as often side effects will subside when starting a new medication, after several days. If however it's really affecting you (which would be understandable) or it still persists after another week, I would definitely recommend that you contact your doctor. You don't want this side effect to continue or have to deal with depersonalisation, and your doctor would then switch you to a different medication. In fact, you could call your doc. tomorrow to inquire about this as well. It's good to know that prozac and wellbutrin worked well for you, and that you can always go back onto this combination for your depression.

Please click ACCEPT button for this answer. Feel free to continue the discussion with me, even after clicking accept. Thank you.