Kristin, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  Licensed Mental Health Counselor. 11+ years specialist in mental health. Expertise and insight!

my husband and i have been married for 23 years and have lost

my husband and i have been married for 23 years and have lost our intimate connection. we're both interested in going to a retreat of some sort to learn how to rekindle our romance. can you suggest some places? we live in chicago, but we're willing to travel to the right place if need be?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Kristin replied 5 years ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. The idea of a couples/marriage retreat sounds like a great idea to reconnect with one another and learn some communication and bonding techniques. Here are some resources for you:

1. This retreat has various locations, set in natural beauty which they believe contributes to the reconnection of couples:

3. This one is led by the well-known researchers into marriage, The Gottmans, who are based in the Seattle area.

4. This one is near Chicago, in Indianapolis:

Please click ACCEPT button for this information, and also feel free to continue discussion even after clicking accept. Thank you.

Expert:  Kristin replied 5 years ago.
Did you have any more questions for me? If so, please do ask. Otherwise please do click on ACCEPT so I'm credited for my help today. Thank you...
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

There seems to be quite a difference is cost between the various suggested retreats. Do you feel that the quality is better in say the Gottman's retreat ($4500 couple) vs. the one in Indianapolis ($650 couple)?

We appreciate the many options, but want to ensure we select the right option to get the most out of this retreat.

Thank you!

Expert:  Kristin replied 5 years ago.

Yes I understand you want to get the best value etc. I would say that the reason the Gottman retreat is more expensive is in part because they have become so well-known, featured on Oprah, done research studies, books and so on. That being said it doesn't necessarily indicate that is the best place for you as a couple.

I would really advise you to call each place and ask to speak to the leaders personally and really get a good feel for their styles etc. Tell them exactly what you are hoping to achieve as a couple etc. That is the best way to determine what feels right for the two of you, as it's highly personal. Hope that helps...