TherapistMarryAnn
TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
54658078

Thank you for your reply. I trust the competence of my psychiatrist.

Thank you for your reply. I trust the competence of my psychiatrist. I came here to try and see if I really need a second opinion. The problem is that I will have to wait and see my psychiatrist in a few days and I'm supposed to start taking the medication now. I have 3 children depending on me and I feel tht my reluctance to take medication because of the side effects is selfish of me.
I was diagnosed ith dissociative disorder, nore specific derealization. However, when I went to read more about dissociative disorders I identified episodes in my life that I hadn't discussed with my psyquiatrist that I feel could be signs of dioersonalization and maybe even mild dissociative identity disorder. One of my questions to you is if the medication is the same for all of this or if ou think I should wait until I see my psychiatrist again to start taking the new medication. Before arriving to a diagnosis I was put temporarily on diazepam and quetiapine as well as my fluoxetine that I was already taking for depression. Now the doctor wants to change it to clonazepam, a higer dose of fuoxetine and sleeping pills.
I will make a separate question, for the other advice I would like to have from you, so that you are properly compensated for your time. Thank you
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  TherapistMarryAnn replied 5 years ago.

It is a good idea to wait to see your psychiatrist if you have concerns about taking your medications. As you noted, side effects can cause additional problems, so being sure you are taking medication you and your doctor feel will help is important. You need to balance the relief from your symptoms with any possible side effects from your medication. If you find the side effects too distressing, the medication will not be effective for you. Also, be sure to ask your doctor how long you should allow for the side effects before you consider staying on the medication or switching to a new one. Also, ask how long will it take for the medication to be at full strength and begin to help your symptoms.

Be aware that many people need to try several different medications before they find ones that work for them. Although medication is a great treatment, it is not an given that medications work in the same way for everyone. The combination of the medicine with your body chemistry may work or it may not. So finding what works for you is important.

You may also want to take this time to explain any further symptoms you have so the doctor has a clear picture of your experiences and will then know the right medication to use to help you.

Kate