Selah R, M.S. LPC
Selah R, M.S. LPC, Therapist
Experience:  Licensed Professional Counselor; over 13+ yrs exp working with adults, teens, & families/couples.
3241695

My question is about my son. He has depression and bi polar.

My question is about my son. He has depression and bi polar. he takes effexor and serequel. He recently got DUI and has been in jail for 17 days. I have a committment order but a bed has not come up and I don't know how long it will be. The judge said he could be realeased to my custody but I am somewhat concerned about his state of mind. My husband saw him at the sentencing today. He said he was stotic and bot talking much.
I just don't know what to do. I want so much for him to be here with us
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Selah R, M.S. LPC replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for trusting JustAnswer with your important question.

I'm sorry for your very difficult situation. While it is hard to know that your son is in jail when he could be home, it might be the safest place for him and you. If you take him into your custody, you can be held in legal responsibility for actions he takes while out of jail. If he has had a long battle with substance use, or repeated DUI's, do you really want to take that risk? If he has not been good about staying on his psychiatric medications, you also have reason for concern.

If you and your husband can force him to stay on medication, force him to stay clean and sober, and force him to stay in your observation until a bed is found, then it might be safe to bring him home. But most families don't have that much time and energy to watch over someone, especially someone who doesn't want to be watched over and who may not be compliant with medication and sobriety.

You can continue to support and love him emotionally, even if you decide he's better off staying in jail while a treatment bed becomes available. He may not agree with your decision, but if he pursues recovery he'll come to see that you made the right choice for the right reasons. But you can't make a difficult choice like this just based on emotions, his or yours. You should base it on the facts of his ability to comply, and with the facts of your ability to be available to watch over him and keep him out of trouble.

Best wishes,
Selah
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Could being jail make worse his mental condition
It can make him feel worse because he can't use alcohol or drugs to self medicate the symptoms that his psychiatrist medications aren't working for. It can help him feel more frustrated, anxious, or depressed because he doesn't have freedom or control.

It can help him be better psychologically if they continue to give him medication. It can also help if they allow him to see counselors or psychiatrists to address his issues. Many jails offer mental health treatment, but he has to be willing to cooperate.

It can also be a wake-up call for him that he had to get control over his alcoholism because it will continue to ruin his life and potentially take his life if he doesn't change. That process of hitting bottom is crucial for recovery from substance abuse, but it can be hard psychologically (usually depression and irritability).

Selah
Selah R, M.S. LPC, Therapist
Experience: Licensed Professional Counselor; over 13+ yrs exp working with adults, teens, & families/couples.