TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.

What are dispositional theories and how do they affect individual

What are dispositional theories and how do they affect individual personalities?

Thanks for requesting my help.

Dispositional theories are a combination of several thoughts about human personality. At the very root of Dispositional theory is the fact that your nature (genetics and heritage) have relatively permanent effects on how you present yourself to the world. Some theorists, like Gordon Allport, believe that Dispositional aspects of yourself surface as traits and factors of personality. Some of these traits are cardinal, meaning that they are visible to all people and are not hidden. Some traits, however, are more subtle and can only been seen in some circumstances such as a stressful situation or in the context of your chosen occupation.

Basically, a Dispositional theory assumes that there are a finite number of personality traits that can be measured, evaluated and observed. These traits allow you to function within a societal role, particularly in allowing your personality to be expressed through your behaviors such as in an occupation. For example, if you have the traits and disposition of a extroverted intuitive type, you may find that those traits allow you to work effectively as an entertainer, teacher or public personality. These traits, being an essential part of a disposition, tend to remain stable across the lifespan and Dispositional theory states that satisfaction will remain high as long as the work or activity matches the innate traits or disposition of the person involved.

I hope this helped,

I haven't heard from you. Did you have more questions or want clarification? Is there more I can help you with?