AgapeDoc
AgapeDoc, Psychologist
Experience:  Dr. W. D. Nicholas will help you find solutions to life's challenging issues.

What are the similarites and differences between the following

What are the similarites and differences between the following schools of thought for treating mental disorders?? Huministic Group Family
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  AgapeDoc replied 3 years ago.

AgapeDoc :

Thanks for contacting me at Just Answer...

AgapeDoc :

Let me see if I can offer an answer to your question

AgapeDoc :

OK...

AgapeDoc :

Humanistic therapy encompasses many different forms of therapy, but the one that is most associated with humanistic is Person Centered which is sometimes called Client Centered. This therapy takes the position that the client has the answers s/he is after and it is the therapists job to ask questions and listen intently to ask the follow up questions that will lead the client to find the answers s/he is after.

AgapeDoc :

In group therapy, there are many different clients in the session at the same time and the therapist leads the group to discuss and challenge each others irrational beliefs. All the time, listening and leading the clients to see how there beliefs and behaviors need to change in order to make progress.

AgapeDoc :

In family therapy, the therapist takes on a systemic plan of action. That is to say that members of a family each are challenged to see how their behaviors are impacting others in the family as well as how the other family members behavior is impacting theirs.

AgapeDoc :

Another theory that is considered humanistic is Rational Emotive Behavior Therapy or what has evolved into the very popular Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. In this type of therapy, a client is challenged to see how there irrational beliefs are impacting there behavior.

Customer:

Could you please list two two three differences and two to three similarities. thanks

Customer:

this is for a powerpoint presentation

AgapeDoc :

OK...

Customer:

two to three similarities and differences are for each school of thought

AgapeDoc :

Humanistic is similar to Group and Family Therapy in the following ways.... Each of these take on a "non-medical" model. That is to say that the client is not considered sick in need of an expert to "cure" them. The client is believed to have the answers for his own problem and the therapist is just there to help guide the client. Also, each of these therapies believe that people are basically good.

AgapeDoc :

As for the differences..... As I mentioned above, most generally speaking, humanistic therapy is done on an individual basis. The client and the therapist work one on one to work through an issue that the ONE client is having. In group therapy, many clients are in the therapy setting and they are all have the same (or very similar) issue.

AgapeDoc :

In family therapy the family is in the therapy session and the family is working together to solve an issue the family is having. Each member is challenged to see how there behavior is affecting the others and how others behavior is affecting theirs.

Customer:

Sounds great!! thanks Doc. I will accept.

AgapeDoc, Psychologist
Experience: Dr. W. D. Nicholas will help you find solutions to life's challenging issues.