Dr. K
Dr. K, Psychiatrist
Experience:  15 years clinical experience in all areas of psychiatry. Holistic and practical approach.

Have PTSD and a severe anxiety disorder from military incidents

Have PTSD and a severe anxiety disorder from military incidents in 2009. Have been trying to avoid medication, but the anxiety attacks are becoming too intense and frequent. What medication do you recommend to prevent / eliminate them?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. K replied 5 years ago.

Dr. K :
PTSD is a very sensitive condition. Basically, your nervous system (the fight or flight response) is hypersensitive to stimuli. A single word, smell, or image can all trigger flashbacks and or increased anxiety.

The best approach to PTSD is treating it holistically. You also want to think outside the box & try to be creative & troubleshoot.

Medications can be part of the solution (but don't have to be); if interested you should speak with a live doctor. I also highly recommend 1) psychotherapy with a live therapist to address social anxiety, and 2) learning some formal relaxation therapy.

The last 2 treatments I mentioned are proven by sophisticated studies using brain scans (CT, MRI, EEG, pet scans) to improve brain function.

Also, by formal relaxation therapy I mean yoga, meditation, or similar methods. Having relaxing hobbies is also important, but not quite the same as formal relaxation therapy.

And remember you can't separate emotional health from physical health, so exercise & nutrition are vital.

There are also several self-help books you can read which will help.

1) The Seven Spiritual Laws of Success by Deepak Chopra, 2) The Feeling Good Handbook by David D. Burns; 3) The Relaxation & Stress Reduction Workbook (New Harbinger Self-Help Workbook) by XXXXX XXXXX, adn 4) The PTSD Workbook: Simple, Effective Techniques for Overcoming Traumatic Stress Symptoms by Mary Beth Williams.

I have been doing therapy since 2008, and it has brought me a long way from where I used to be. I also practice

Dr. K :

That's great...keep it up.

relaxation techniques, I just want to know what the best medication is to take to eliminate an anxiety attack is while it is begginging as I am able to identify them fairly early, but unfortunantly not able to prevent them

Dr. K :

A lot of docs prescribe xanax...but its highly addictive. A great alternative (which is still addictive, but not as much) is lorazepam (ativan). anywhere from 0.5 mg to 2mg (rarely more) is helpful; you can dissolve it under your tongue for quicker effect.

Dr. K :

If you want non-narcotic/addictive alternatives you could try antihistamines like vistaril or benadryl which both come in liquid form for faster effect. Some patients benefit from buspar, but it's not usually my 1st choice cuz only a small % of people get benefit from it to abort a panic attack when it's just starting.

Thank you for your input, I have tried lorazepam in the past but it really had a zombifying effect on me. Is xanax taken daily or only upon incident?

Dr. K :

It can be either. It may still have a zombie like effect....

Ok, thank you for your assistance I will make an appointment and see about getting a prescription.

Dr. K :

Good luck. Please hit ACCEPT to end the chat.