TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.

Hello I have been having panick attacks since 1995, I asked

Hello I have been having panick attacks since 1995, I asked for help in 2001 and since I am on and off cipralex antidepressants...I wish to stop taking medicine and I was wondering if I should start counselling instead. What do you think? Thank you
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  TherapistMarryAnn replied 5 years ago.

Hi, I'd like to help you with your question.

Medication is very helpful in coping with panic attacks when they interfere with daily living. Medication can reduce the symptoms but it cannot take the problem away, only make it manageable.

Therapy has been shown to be very effective with anxiety and panic attacks, especially Cognative Behavioral Therapy (CBT) and Integrated Therapy. Both work to help you change your thinking patterns and Integrated therapy also looks at the original causes of your anxiety and panic attacks.

To find a therapist, talk with your doctor. Or, if you attend church, speak with your pastor. They often have good resources to help you. If there is a local community mental health center you could also look there.

There are also many self help resources you can try. Here are some to get you started:

The Anxiety & Phobia Workbook by Edmund J. Bourne

When Panic Attacks: The New, Drug-Free Anxiety Therapy That Can Change Your Life by David D. Burns

The Cognitive Behavioral Workbook for Anxiety: A Step-by-Step Program by William J. Knaus

You can find these books on or your local library may have them for you.

I hope this has helped you,