Ask Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC Your Own ...

Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC
Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
54658078

I ned some advice in how to deal with a sociopath

This is a difficult  case and it's my sister. For me she lacks of a kind of empathy. I opened and investigation in my father's accounts and it looks like she has taken all the money as she was one of the account holders...still many things to investigate. I have seen a counsillor, doing reiki and have tablets as I found the whole thing too hard for me...need help. When she was a child she was always telling lies to my parents, making my mother cry...something is definitely wrong. What are the main characteristics of a sociopath?

Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC replied 3 years ago.

Hi, I'd like to help you with your question.

Sociopathy, clinically known as Antisocial Personality Disorder, usually starts early in childhood. There are some specific signs that mental health professionals look for including bed wetting, cruelty to animals and setting fires. These markers when seen together usually indicate an anti social personality. Additionally, the child will defy authority and fight often with others. They will also refuse to follow the rules.

As adults, people with antisocial personality disorder will often come across as narcissistic, charming, and will act with violence when confronted. They have little difficulty with hurting others. They will lie and cheat and rarely have very close relationships.

It is important that you try not to fix your sister. There is no way to stop her behavior.The best way to handle her is to try to protect yourself the best way you can. Start by educating yourself and finding support. Here are some resources for you:

The Sociopath Next Door by Martha Stout

Without Conscience: The Disturbing World of the Psychopaths Among Us by Robert D. Hare

Difficult Personalities: A Practical Guide to Managing the Hurtful Behavior of Others (and Maybe Your Own) by Helen McGrath PhD and Hazel Edwards MEd

http://www.rcpsych.ac.uk/mentalhealthinfoforall/problems/personalitydisorders/pd.aspx

http://www.bbc.co.uk/health/emotional_health/mental_health/disorders_person.shtml

You can find these books on Amazon.com or your local library may have them for you.

Try to keep your distance as much as possible from your sister. Minimize your contact and your family's as well. It is hard since she is your sister, but the more you can protect yourself, the better.

I hope this has helped you,

Kate

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Kate, my sister shares some of the characteristics but not of all: she defies any authority, follow only her own rules, ....etc. What worries me is that her personality is changing for worse. We are investigating what happened with my father's money. She cheated the manager of the bank, gave a tranquilizer to my father, then the manager came home and the papers were signed...horrible. I feel absolutely terrified, now more than ever. Sometimes I start to shake or panic....Horrible.

I am sorry you have to go through this with her. It is very distressing to deal with someone who intentionally hurts other family members.

It certainly sounds like she does have traits of antisocial personality disorder. It is hard to tell for sure without speaking with her. It is a good idea to get through this incident then try distancing yourself and your family as much as possible from her. Trying to help her at this point would most likely be useless. If she sees nothing wrong with her behavior, she will not seek help. Therefore, she will not improve her behavior.

Kate

Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC, Therapist
Experience: Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.