Selah R, M.S. LPC
Selah R, M.S. LPC, Therapist
Experience:  Licensed Professional Counselor; over 13+ yrs exp working with adults, teens, & families/couples.

I have been on nefazodone for 10 days. I started with 50mg

I have been on nefazodone for 10 days. I started with 50mg at night for 4 days. My doctor said I could up it to 50mg twice a day. I did this for two days but I was a zombie. I have been now using 25mg am and 50mg pm for the last 4 days and am more alert( did this on my own). My anxiety level is still very high. Is it too early to expect results? Did changing the dosage delay improvement?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Selah R, M.S. LPC replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for trusting JustAnswer with your important question.

Nefazodone is a very short-acting medication, so you should see results within a few days of regular use. After a week of using the medication you should have a good idea of how it will work for you and if your dose needs to be adjusted. This medication is recommended for twice a day usage with seven days between dose adjustments per the manufacturer's FDA information.

I don't think the change in dosage delayed improvement, because you have to taper up to your beneficial dose without losing your ability to function during the day! So slow but steady increases over the next weeks will hopefully help you find a dose that works, but that you're also going up slowly enough to let your body adjust to the medication.

Best wishes,