Dr. K
Dr. K, Psychiatrist
Experience:  15 years clinical experience in all areas of psychiatry. Holistic and practical approach.
50493013

I have no interest in life nor enjoyment from anything. This

I have no interest in life nor enjoyment from anything. This has been an ongoing problem off and on my entire life (I am 62, female). My family intervened and got me to a clinic where they are supposed to help me help myself. The psychologist says I need medication, but I need too see their physciatrist because he is the only one who can prescribe any drugs. I just want to be able to sleep and keep the panic attacks from becoming so bad I hurt myself. Then maybe I can "talk" to them. This is a clinic for people like me who have little money and no insurance. There is a 9 week waiting list to see the psychiatrist. I do not have the strength to survive 9 more weeks. We have called 6 doctors and no one will see me. I know it is because I have no insurance but I can pay but slowly but they say they are too full. Do you have any suggestions for us? Ilona Fox
Depression is best treated holistically. Medications can be helpful for some people. I also recommend 1) psychotherapy with a live therapist, and 2) learning some formal relaxation therapy.

The last 2 treatments I mentioned are proven by sophisticated studies using brain scans (CT, MRI, EEG, pet scans) to improve brain function.

Also, by formal relaxation therapy I mean yoga, meditation, or similar methods. Having relaxing hobbies is also important, but not quite the same as formal relaxation therapy.

And remember you can't separate emotional health from physical health, so exercise & nutrition are vital.

There are also several self-help books you can read which can help including: 1) The Seven Spiritual Laws of Success by Deepak Chopra, 2) The Feeling Good Handbook by David D. Burns; 3) The Relaxation & Stress Reduction Workbook (New Harbinger Self-Help Workbook) by XXXXX XXXXX, and 4) The Depression Workbook: A Guide for Living with Depression and Manic Depression, Second Edition by Mary Ellen Copeland and Matthew McKay.

In the meantime, you could try some over the counter products to help your sleep and panic: benadryl, melatonin, chamomile, kava kava, valerian root, or lemon balm.

Remember, even over the counter products can have side effects. If you taking any prescribed medications you should check with the doc who prescribes them to make sure the over the counter products won't interact with them.

And always start with low doses and increase them only if needed and slowly.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you need more feedback. Good luck & take care.
______________________________________________________________________
Please let me know if you need more information. We can continue the dialog until you are satisfied. Once you are happy with the answers don't forget to hit the ACCEPT button & provide expert feedback. Also remember that this is not an official doctor patient relationship and not a substitute for a full live psychiatric evaluation. Thank you for using justanswers.com

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX don't get it. I have paid because you tried and that's all I can ask for. Relax? I can't stop shivering if I force myself to remain dead still for even a moment. I go through a pair of slippers in a month because I seem to rub my feet against each other constantly and make holes in them. Won't even discuss the tendons in my neck that I am sure are frozen from keeping my teeth clenched tight to control my emotions. Try doing something I enjoy? I loved riding my horse, reading, quilting, drawing, making love, driving a car. I haven't driven in 4 years, and if I even pick up a book I have an attack because I want so badly to enjoy it again - but can't open a page. I don't exercise because if I move much the migrains will usually knock me to my knees within a minute. When I move I do it SLOW and CAREFUL, hoping against hope I will not awaken the sleeping dragon. The back pain is always excrutiating but I've learned to live with it. I am not sure why I wrote. I am well-educated and knew I was looking for a miracle - when I know there are none. Thank you again for your time. Ilona Fox
I didn't realize it was so severe. Now that you've clarified I understand better. Keep in mind my usual 1st interview with a patient is 1-1.5 hours, so that's why I didn't seem "to get it" at 1st.

Can you comfortably even do some walking? That would be a simple exercise that could help.

And I know when you're in this state of mind it's hard to relax. But starting with with a slow, simple relaxation exercise would still be a good idea. Even if you can do it for 5 minutes twice a day that would be good. Even if this amount of time doesn't seem to help initially, the more you practice the better you will get at it. here is a link to simple relaxation exercise. Just go easy with it so you don't hurt the parts of your body that are in extra pain or stress.

http://www.guidetopsychology.com/pmr.htm

In the meantime, most clinics have a cancellation list. Call the place where your appt is & see if they do; that way, if someone else cancels their appointment, you might be able to get in sooner.

You're right...there are no miracles. But you can heal. How many times have you seen the psychologist? have you tried any other treatments yet?

Also, I think once you are able to get on some medications to lower your symptoms, it will be easier for you to pursue the other ideas I mentioned. If the medications work great, still pursue the other ideas...I have seen many patients get better with meds, not treat themselves holistically, and then they get tolerant to the meds and symptoms return. Please continue the dialog so I can try to help you more.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for responding and I apologize if I came across short or unappreciative. It kills me that I cannot control my behavior and fly off the handle - often for no good reason. I have seen this psychologist for 6 weeks, 2X a week. I need to be more assertive I think as "drink warm milk" or "wrap up in a warm blanket" just doesn't cut it. I feel 10 steps ahead of her all the time - and I don't mean to sound egotistical. She is nice, smart and perhaps too young for my head to accept. She also gets upset when I have a bad spell - doesn't seem to do more than hand me a box of tissues. Yet I cannot be unappreciative as at least they are seeing me at a cost my husband and I can handle for a bit longer. The next goal is some meds so I can get a little sleep, and maybe something to ease these horrible thoughts in my head. They hope to get me to the psychiatrist in a few weeks to prescribe some. If they help (they did for a while in the past, but I gained 40 pounds so then I was even more depressed) maybe, just maybe I can gain enough strength to help myself. I just am too weak now. I will follow the link you sent and if I'm careful I always try to walk a little farther around the house when I need to get up. Again, if I sounded in any way like I was unpleased with you, that isn't me normally. It's just so hard to live like this. Thank you again. Ilona Fox
You have no need to apologize to me...

Let me point out something else. Psychotherapy for problems like yours takes time. 2X/week for 6 weeks is a great start, but be patient with the treatment.

Also, feeling like therapy isn't helping is a very common phenomenon in therapy. But here's the key: that doesn't mean it isn't working & you should stop therapy.

You need to be assertive & openly tell the therapist exactly what you told me. Then, one of 2 things can happen...she understands you better and you guys adjust the therapy to get something out of it (either by setting concrete goals or by continuing to try to understand your current emotions...which often is accomplished by exploring your old "emotional baggage")...or you guys decide she isn't the right fit for you and she can refer you to someone else.

Hopefully, it won't be the latter...once you are able to tell a therapist the emotions & thoughts you are having about them, you can get to "the next level of therapy," so to speak. Don't be afraid about hurting her feelings...she is a professional and should be used to such dialog.

Please feel free to continue the dialog...