TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.

How do you get reliable and good therapy having no insurance

How do you get reliable and good therapy having no insurance and can only pay a minimum amount? I am not discrediting the professionalism of the doctor, I just can't afford.

Hi, I'd like to help you with your question.

Have you tried your local community mental health center? They are funded by the government and will accept any patient, regardless of ability to pay. If you are employed, they will work with you to develop a sliding fee scale so you can afford the therapy sessions. They are bound by the same standards as any mental health professional in terms of confidentiality. They are never allowed to confirm or deny to anyone that you are a patient there.

Community mental health facilities have trained therapists, psychiatrists and other professionals on staff. They can also provide you with community resources such as support groups to help further your treatment.

To find your local center, contact the city government or try an internet search or phone book. You can also contact any hospital and they will have the information as well.

I hope this has helped you,