TherapistMarryAnn
TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
54658078

Hi I have depression with severe anxiety and having problems

Hi

I have depression with severe anxiety and having problems going outside. The new pscy doc is taking me off perphenazine went from 16mg a day to four in one day and put me on 3mg of Invega. I have taken the Invega three days now and been on the 4mg of perphenazine 3days now. I feel so anxious, and wondered if I have given the Invega time enough to work? Mayeb he decrease the perphenazine too quickly ? Any help would be appreciated

Janet
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  TherapistMarryAnn replied 5 years ago.

Hi, I'd like to help you with your question.

It takes up to 6 to 12 weeks for the full benefit of Invega to be seen.

It may benefit you to ask your doctor for another medication such as Ativan to take the edge off your anxiety until the Invega starts to work for you. Then you can wean yourself off the additional medication when the Invega starts to help you.

Have you also considered therapy and self help as a way to cope with your symptoms? If you have not, you may find that therapy, even once a week, will provide you with support and guidance in your recovery. To find a therapist, you can talk with your doctor for a referral or you can search on line at http://therapists.psychologytoday.com/rms/ (look towards the bottom for a link to Canada).

If you find going out to see a therapist too difficult, here are some resources you can use at home to help:

The 10 Best-Ever Anxiety Management Techniques: Understanding How Your Brain Makes You Anxious and What You Can Do to Change It by Margaret Wehrenberg

The Anxiety & Phobia Workbook by Edmund J. Bourne

The Cognitive Behavioral Workbook for Anxiety: A Step-by-Step Program by William J. Knaus

Self-Coaching: The Powerful Program to Beat Anxiety and Depression, 2nd Edition, Completely Revised and Updated by Joseph J. Luciani

You can find these books on Amazon.com or your local library may have them for you.

I hope this has helped you,
Kate

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Invega

Why didn't he tell me 6-12 weeks for Invega. I think we have decreased the perphenazine too fast.

It would have been good to let you know, but he might have felt the other medication would suffice to deal with your symptoms until the Invega built up in your system.

Kate

I haven't heard from you. Did you have more questions or need clarification?

Kate