AgapeDoc
AgapeDoc, Psychologist
Experience:  Dr. W. D. Nicholas will help you find solutions to life's challenging issues.
55589990

My grandson has symptoms of ADD/ADHD with embellishment. For

My grandson has symptoms of ADD/ADHD with embellishment. For example he talk a simple bump to the face during basket ball where there is no blood and embellishes it to the point where blood is gushing everywhere.
He does this all of the time. What could this mean?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  AgapeDoc replied 5 years ago.

AgapeDoc :

Thanks for contacting me on Just Answer - let's see if I can answer your question...

AgapeDoc :

I don't think you have much to worry about to honest with you. I work with kids from 3 years to 17 years many of which have ADHD and other issues.

Customer:

What about the embellishment? I've researched the symptoms of ADD/ADHD and none of them refer to this type of behavior. His embellishments lend toward the gorry.

AgapeDoc :

It's not uncommon for kids to do this - even kids without issues such as ADHD.

AgapeDoc :

Well.... the only thing that I would disagree with you on this is the impulsivity of ADHD as a possibility of how this may be connected.

Customer:

This is something that has happened to my grandson, his stepbrother and his mother's brother; so, it appears to be uncommon and running on his mother's side of the family in the males.

AgapeDoc :

In my experience the best way to change this behavior is the same way any behavior is shaped.

AgapeDoc :

What you have stated may be correct, but it's just a theory. Spending time on this may not get you closer to you answer.

AgapeDoc :

I suggest that you explain to your grandson that it's not acceptable to embellish as he has been doing. Then give him positive rewards when he tells the truth and without positive rewards when he embellishes.

AgapeDoc :

My last line should read "withhold" not without.

Customer:

Okay, thanks...this doesn't help much in that we've done that. As I mentioned, we went throught the same thing with his brother. It appears to be something that he can't control. His brother is 20 now and appears to have grown out of it. We did not want to wait 10 years for my grandson.

AgapeDoc :

My guess is he is getting attention when he embellishes. I believe if you do this, you will see results sooner rather than later. I can also recommend a book. It's not necessarily about raising kids, but it is about shaping behavior. The name of the book is Whale Done by Ken Blanchard.

Customer:

No, thanks. Believe you've missed my point. Its more than just behavior. We'll try the doctor who treated his brother.

AgapeDoc :

Yes, you mention that it may be something he cant' control and this may be that impulsivity that I mentioned that is common in people with ADHD. However, in my experience this behavior can be shaped even with kids who have ADHD - it just takes more effort and patience.