AgapeDoc
AgapeDoc, Psychologist
Experience:  Dr. W. D. Nicholas will help you find solutions to life's challenging issues.

My daughter is 38 & an addict - opiates and cocaine. She has

My daughter is 38 & an addict - opiates and cocaine. She has lost her children, is transient and in deep denial. Psychiatrist told my husband & I to go home and make our life happy, that our daughters next step is death. Is there any hope for someone who has lost all feeling, all emotions?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  AgapeDoc replied 3 years ago.

AgapeDoc :

Thanks for contacting me here at Just Answer - let's see if I can give you an answer..

AgapeDoc :

I am so sorry that you are in the situation - I can only imagine what you must be feeling.

AgapeDoc :

Having said that, I'm afraid that I have dealt with others in your position (or very similar) more times than I care to think about.

Customer:

Is there any hope?

AgapeDoc :

Well, I'm not one to throw in the towel on any situation... However, it would take a miracle for things to change. I'm afraid that I have to agree with the prognosis that you have been given :(

AgapeDoc :

I think the question that I would love to answer for you is how you can make your life happy given your situation. Well, if you have a religious affiliation I would recommend that you lean heavily on that as that has helped many of my clients.

AgapeDoc :

I would also, recommend that you focus on the other things in life that are positive for you. Be as active as you are comfortable with visiting friends. Rest in the thoughts that you will be there for her if that miracle happens :)

AgapeDoc :

Finally, you never have to stop loving her - but you are no longer responsible for her choices. She is 38 years old. Just consider how you stopped expecting your parents to take responsibility for your actions when you became an adult.

AgapeDoc :

You didn't break her and you can't fix her.

AgapeDoc :

This (Just Answer) forum has many advantages, but the one thing that is difficult for me is not being able to make a "more personal" connection with our clients. I say this because, I can imagine what you are going through not to mention what you have no doubt gone through already. My heart breaks for you and all involved.

AgapeDoc :

Peace,

AgapeDoc :

Please know that you are in my thoughts and prayers and I wish you all the best. Please let me know how things work out.

AgapeDoc, Psychologist
Experience: Dr. W. D. Nicholas will help you find solutions to life's challenging issues.