TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.

my husband anounced he was leaving all of his money to his

my husband anounced he was leaving all of his money to his kids from apreiouse marriage.

Hi, I'd like to help you with your question.

Has your husband given a reason for his decision? From what you said, it sounds like he may feel that you do not need the money and he is giving the kids the money for their futures, especially if he feels they are not as well off financially as you both are. Although this is just a guess on my part, it is a possible explanation.

The other possibility is that your husband is using this situation to show he is angry or feeling some type of conflict within your marriage. He could also feel threatened by the fact that you earn more than he does. Some men still feel they need to be able to provide the majority of the income in the home and when they cannot, they feel threatened and hurt.

Have you tried talking to your husband about how you feel? If you have and it hasn't helped, try sitting down with him again. Approach him in a non judgmental and gentle way (this helps him feel less defensive). Tell him that you feel left out of the situation. Let him know that this is not about the money but about how you feel used and unappreciated. Then tell him what would make you feel better about the issue. For example, splitting the bills more evenly, or including you in making a decision like this in the future. Whatever you feel would help. Also be sure to understand his feelings about why he did this. This way, you both can feel appreciated.

However, if you get the sense that your husband is having a problem in the relationship that is beyond talking this out, suggest you both see a therapist. You may need a few sessions with someone who is neutral in the situation to help you find a middle ground. To find a therapist, talk to your doctor for a referral. Or, if you attend church, speak with your pastor. You can also search on line at

I hope this has helped you,