Arundhati, Counselor & Psychotherapist
Experience:  Licensed psychotherapist, Published Wellness Author

how do you know if you have a mental health problem. I feel

how do you know if you have a mental health problem. I feel very lost and scared. I have always felf different to everyone else. I have tried so hard to be normal but I feel like one day I will be found out. I have three beautiful children and love them with all my heart but am scared that I cannot give them what they need. I have a partner whom I believe has a drink pproblem. we are both on antidpressents but I have stopped taking my mediacation 3 weeks ago. I feel very insecure all the time and very worthless. My partner accused me of being a physco tonight, saying i fabricated a problem to get a reation then switched and wanted comforting. I am scared there is smoething wrong with me?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Arundhati replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for writing in to Just Answer.

I'm so sorry that you've been feeling this way.

You mentioned that you've already tried counseling and medication. I'm wondering if you have a formal diagnosis? I would recommend that you contact your psychologist/psychiatrist for a full mental health evaluation so that you can receive an accurate diagnosis. If your primary presenting problem is depression then please don't despair. There are many very helpful treatments available for depression.

Have you tried Mindfulness Meditation? It is a technique that has helped hundreds of thousands of people to feel better. Mindfulness Meditation comprises of a technique which you can learn from Jon Kabat Zinn's Introduction to Mindfulness Meditation CD - this technique and regular practice of it can greatly reduce depression and help you feel much better. You can also take a look at this book on tackling Depression using the techniques of Mindfulness Meditation.

Building your social network either by joining online forums, or community resources, groups etc can also help. Regular exercise or yoga and finding things to do that you enjoy are often very helpful in combating depression.

Once again - please don't feel scared. As a first step I'd encourage you to return to your doctor for a full evaluation. Once you have a proper diagnosis you can start taking the necessary steps.

I hope that was helpful. Please do let me know if you have questions/thoughts.

Kind Regards,

I hope this was helpful.