Dr. K
Dr. K, Psychiatrist
Experience:  15 years clinical experience in all areas of psychiatry. Holistic and practical approach.
50493013

I recently moved down from Indiana to Tenn to live with my

I recently moved down from Indiana to Tenn to live with my mom because of not being able to find a job and left all my friends up there. I am having trouble making friends down here. Being isolated for a year with me and my mom and doing nothing but going to work has caused social anxiety. I am miserable and don't know how to meet people in a new place causing me to feel lonely at times. I feel like i am trapped in a box. What is the best way to overcome this?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. K replied 3 years ago.
This is definitely something you can overcome. The best approach to social anxiety is treating it holistically. You also want to think outside the box & try to be creative & troubleshoot.

If you have any hobbies or interests I would look for organized groups that share the same interests (like a book or hiking club). Look in the local paper or newsletter, search online, or talk to people you work with.

Medications can be part of the solution (but don't have to be); if interested you should speak with a live doctor. I also highly recommend 1) psychotherapy with a live therapist to address social anxiety, and 2) learning some formal relaxation therapy.

The last 2 treatments I mentioned are proven by sophisticated studies using brain scans (CT, MRI, EEG, pet scans) to improve brain function.

Also, by formal relaxation therapy I mean yoga, meditation, or similar methods. Having relaxing hobbies is also important, but not quite the same as formal relaxation therapy.

And remember you can't separate emotional health from physical health, so exercise & nutrition are vital.

There are also several self-help books you can read which will help.
1) The Seven Spiritual Laws of Success by Deepak Chopra, 2) The Feeling Good Handbook by David D. Burns; 3) The Relaxation & Stress Reduction Workbook (New Harbinger Self-Help Workbook) by XXXXX XXXXX. Also, if you go to amazon.com or google & search for books on how to meet people and or how to overcome social anxiety you will find many other great books to help you.

Explore these methods & practice...and in know time your personal & dating life will improve dramatically.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you need more feedback. Good luck & take care.
______________________________________________________________________
Please let me know if you need more information. We can continue the dialog until you are satisfied. Once you are happy with the answers don't forget to hit the ACCEPT button & provide expert feedback. Also remember that this is not an official doctor patient relationship and not a substitute for a full live psychiatric evaluation. Thank you for using justanswers.com
Dr. K, Psychiatrist
Experience: 15 years clinical experience in all areas of psychiatry. Holistic and practical approach.