Dr. K
Dr. K, Psychiatrist
Experience:  15 years clinical experience in all areas of psychiatry. Holistic and practical approach.
50493013

After my husbands fourth suicide attempt almost three years

After my husband's fourth suicide attempt almost three years ago, I became very depressed. I decided to separate and became a single mother overnight. I was working full-time at a shelter for abused women and quickly became overwhelmed and unable to cope with everything. I ended up having to take a leave from work and was off for two years. I was made to return to work in October 2010 and returned gradually for twelve weeks but all I did was cry and become a nervous wreck. I relapsed into depression, anxiety and insomnia and had to stop working again. I am in therapy and taking alternative types of treatment. I do better when there are less demands on me. Should I risk my health by returning to work?
Working a job could be ok, but I think it depends what type of work you do. Working in a shelter for abused women may not be the right setting. Any job in which you are working with people with depression is more likely to trigger your own depression & anxiety.

All people need 2 major things to be happy...work & love. If you are unable to work you need to stay busy with positive activities.

I would consider finding low stress work...and start by only working part time. Then go from there.

I would also be curious to know what your therapist thinks of this problem.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you need more information. Good luck & take care.
______________________________________________________________________
Please let me know if you need more information. We can continue the dialog until you are satisfied. Once you are happy with the answers don't forget to hit the ACCEPT button & provide expert feedback. Also remember that this is not an official doctor patient relationship and not a substitute for a full live psychiatric evaluation. Thank you for using justanswers.com
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Is there something wrong with only tolerating a limited number of acivities before I start feeling overwhelmed? I attend a day programme for those affected by serious mental health issues and this helps me a lot. My therapist thinks I should stay involved if this is what keeps me grounded without the use of stong medications.
There are no black & white answers. Everybody is different. Nobody raises their hand in kingergarden and says "I want to be depressed & unable to work in 20-30 years."

Depression is a medical syndrome. It is partly genetic & although many people don't understand it, it doesn't say anything about you as a person. You can still be a wonderful, gifted, and compassionate person even if you are depressed and can't work.

I'm glad you are attending a day program. I agree that you should stay involved in activities that ground you. Have you considered trying volunteering?

I'm not sure what your therapist means by "strong" medications. Medications when used wisely as part of a comprehensive treatment plan can be very helpful.

It's best to avoid addictive medicines especially if you have any personal or family history of such.

The best person to help decide which medications would be best for you is a well trained, experienced, eclectic, & holistic psychiatrist.

Is there anything else I can help with?