Ask Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC Your Own ...

Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC
Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.

I am in a lot of stress about this. I had a slight ringing

I am in a lot of stress about this. I had a slight ringing in the ear. Now every time I hear a noise I feel like it's stuck in my head real loud. Is my mind fixing on these sounds.it's distracting me I know the ringing is tinnitus but now I feel like I have more noises
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC replied 3 years ago.

Hi, I'd like to help you with your question.

First, have you seen your doctor about this problem? I know that is an obvious question, but sometimes just hearing the doctor tell you that you do not have a serious problem and that there are treatments to help can alleviate your stress enormously.

There are techniques you can use to help you cope with the stress, the most important being self talk. I understand how sounds in your ears can be distressing, but remember, these sounds cannot hurt you. They are only noises. Sometimes, people who suffer with tinnitus or other noises can let their thoughts scare them. The what if's alone (what if this goes on forever and I go crazy, for example) can cause an increase in anxiety and distress. But counteracting these thoughts with calming and soothing thoughts can help.

Therapy has proven to be very effective, especially cognitive behavior therapy (CBT). To find a therapist, talk with your doctor. Or search on line at http://therapists.psychologytoday.com/rms/.

Biofeedback has also been effective for people with this problem. Talk with your doctor about exploring this option.

Taking supplements, such as B-12 and Omega 3 fish oil can also help, as can Ginkgo Biloba. Ask your doctor first about starting supplements as they can interfere with other medications or health conditions.

Educate yourself about your condition. A good place to start is The American Tinnitus Association. You can find them on line at http://www.ata.org/. They have books and other website links that can provide you with further information about your situation. The more you know, the less stressful this problem will be.

I hope this has helped you,
Kate

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
thank you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
everything is just so weird. im having crazy bone cracking sounds in my neck and noise and head. like i got old or something everything is cracking

I have heard of this happening before. Usually, it is due to ligaments and other tissues moving as you turn your neck. There are medical reasons for this and your doctor can explain it better. But as for the mental health concerns, this type of problem causes anxiety. The anxiety can usually be controlled by reassurance by your doctor that physically, you are alright. Also, the supplements I recommended as well as therapy and self help can all go a long way to helping you cope with any anxiety you have as a result of the physical symptoms you experience.

Kate

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I hope. Each day is getting harder for me. It's like the headache/ get worse and the noise is magnified louder

I highly recommend you see your doctor just to be sure you are ok. Then you can work on the anxiety and stress this is causing you.

Kate

Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC, Therapist
Experience: Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
What should I do about the ligaments. I feel that is causing the headaches they are bad top of head kind then all around kind

It is a good idea for you to ask your doctor about how to handle the problem with the ligaments. While I can advise you about the stress aspects of your problem, any medical issue should be looked at by your doctor.

Kate

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok. Since I'm depressed whenever I hear aloud noise I get it stuck in my head. Can you explain this to me and how do I stop it from happening or get rid of it

It sounds like you may have low serotonin levels in your brain. After you get the original problem checked by your doctor, considered asking him/her about taking St. John's Wort. That has been shown to help with serotonin levels.

You can also have an evaluation done by a psychiatrist. This is a medical doctor that specializes in mental health medications. The psychiatrist can prescribe a medication from a group of medications called SSRI's. These medications can help elevate the serotonin in your brain and stop the noises from occurring. You can also mention this to your regular doctor as well for a better explanation.

Also, follow through with therapy to help with any leftover feelings of depression you may have from the stress you are experiencing. Although the medication should help, having the support of a therapist will make a big difference for your recovery.

Kate

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you very much

You're welcome!

Kate

Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC, Therapist