AgapeDoc
AgapeDoc, Psychologist
Experience:  Dr. W. D. Nicholas will help you find solutions to life's challenging issues.
55589990

I cant remember much of the first ten years of my life. I know I was physically and

I can't remember much of the first ten years of my life. I know I was physically and emotionally abused (possibly sexually - who knows#. Should I try to remember #go to someone who could unlock these memories) or should I leave it alone? I cannot trust any of my family members to tell me what they remember or know. Who would I see who could help me with this.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  AgapeDoc replied 3 years ago.

AgapeDoc :

Thanks for contacting me at Just Answer - let's see if I can shed some light on your situation..

AgapeDoc :

I have read your post and it is hurtful to not remember your early childhood I'm sure. I have worked with several folks in similar situations and you are right in terms of what "may" have happened.

AgapeDoc :

Now it seems your question is whether you should try and unlock these memories or not.

Customer:

I just don't know if I'm blocked up and knowing it would help or not?

Customer:

True I am a Christian I don't know if that makes a difference I'm afraid of hynosis as allowing spirits/influences in

AgapeDoc :

Well, only you can say for sure if you want to go down that road - but in my experience and my philosophical vantage point there is very little to be gained and potentially much to be lost - in terms of time, money, heartache, family problems and so on...

Customer:

If this though is making me stay trapped in a weight problem and not being able to let others into my life, though...

AgapeDoc :

I too am a Christian. Most folks don't want to talk about spirits, but I am just as aware as you are that there are spirits.

AgapeDoc :

Having said that, hypnosis administered by a certified hypnotherapist works fine in most cases - but I still don't recommend it for you.

Customer:

Are there any other alternatives?

AgapeDoc :

OK.... you are in the right place. You have just asked the question I hoped you would ask :)

AgapeDoc :

The answer is YES!

Customer:

Ok lay it on me, Doc. :-)

AgapeDoc :

Here is what will work for you.... find a therapist who practices solution focused brief therapy. This "brand" of therapy will work for you without spending a fortune on going backwards to a place that won't solve anything anyway.

Customer:

How would I find this particular brand of therapist?

AgapeDoc :

Now, how do you find a solution focused therapist? That is going to take some effort on your part, but it won't be extremely difficult.

Customer:

Any tips? Also, any books you would recommend?

AgapeDoc :

You just have to "go shopping". I would suggest going to the Mental Health Association in your area or if you don't have one close by, just to a google search for therapists in your area and call and ask what kind of therapy they practice.

Customer:

I just hate seeing a therapist spending the first several sessions telling them my entire situation so they get it and then they don't really help

AgapeDoc :

I'm sure you will find a solution focused therapist - but just so you know, my second choice would be a cognitive behavioral therapist.

AgapeDoc :

You won't do that with a solution focused therapist :)

Customer:

Behavioral therapy I don't know if that works I'm not easily motivated by positive reinforcement LOL

AgapeDoc :

A good solution focused therapist practices "brief" therapy

AgapeDoc :

Solution focused is the way to go in your case. I can also suggest a book -

Customer:

I don't see how a lifetime of depression, insecurity and whatnot could be fixed in brief therapy but who knows. Please share the book with me.

Customer:

I appreciate your advice though especially as a Christian.

AgapeDoc :

Solution Focused Pastoral Counseling I can't remember the author, but it is a good read and you'll enjoy it.

AgapeDoc :

It's understandable, but I've seen it work time and again :)

Customer:

It sounds like it would be interesting.

Customer:

Thanks - anything else you would recommend?

AgapeDoc :

You will be in my prayers. I wish you all the best. Please let me know how it goes.

Customer:

Thanks. I appreciate it. :-) Have a good evening.

AgapeDoc :

Of course... Prayer and reading the Bible :)

Customer:

Yes definitely - I have been reading the Bible and praying - making great strides I think; God has healed me a lot from where I was before. Thanks for your help!

AgapeDoc :

All my best and God bless

Customer:

Thanks; you too. Good night!

AgapeDoc, Psychologist
Experience: Dr. W. D. Nicholas will help you find solutions to life's challenging issues.