Dr. K
Dr. K, Psychiatrist
Experience:  15 years clinical experience in all areas of psychiatry. Holistic and practical approach.

i am a 29 year old male and i am afraid of hiv all the time.

back in december i had unportected sex and i have had two hiv test since then, at 8 weeks and 12 weeks. several doctors have told me that i do not havd hiv and if i did the test would have found them. i just can't shake the fear. i'm always examining my body, looking for signs of hiv, and reading about hiv on the web. every time i sweat at night or have any cold symptoms i get all worked up again. how do i fix this ?
What you are experiencing sounds like obsessions, which are a repetitive, intrusive, & distressful thoughts. Obsessions are a form on anxiety and should be treated holistically as such.

The easiest thing to start with would be self-help books. The main one that comes to mind for you is "The OCD Workbook: Your Guide to Breaking Free from Obsessive Compulsive Disorder" by Bruce M., Ph.D. Hyman and Cherry Pedrick. Even if you don't have full OCD, this book can be very helpful. There are many other similar books (just google, search, or check your library/bookstore for books on obsessions or OCD (obsessive compulsive disorder)

Other books that can help include the following: 1) "The Feeling Good Handbook" by David D. Burns; 2) "The Relaxation & Stress Reduction Workbook" (New Harbinger Self-Help Workbook) by XXXXX XXXXX, and maybe even 3) "The Seven Spiritual Laws of Success" by Deepak Chopra

Medications can be helpful for some people, so you should talk to your doctor to see if that's a possibility for you. I almost always recommend 1) psychotherapy with a live therapist, and 2) learning some formal relaxation therapy. Also, by formal relaxation therapy I mean yoga, meditation, or similar methods. Having relaxing hobbies is also important, but not quite the same as formal relaxation therapy.

These last 2 treatments I mentioned are proven by sophisticated studies using brain scans (CT, MRI, EEG, pet scans) to improve brain function. Here's a simple exercise to get you started:

And remember you can't separate emotional health from physical health, so exercise & nutrition are vital.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you need more information. Good luck & take care.
Please let me know if you need more information. We can continue the dialog until you are satisfied. Once you are happy with the answers don't forget to hit the ACCEPT button & provide expert feedback. Also remember that this is not an official doctor patient relationship and not a substitute for a full live psychiatric evaluation. Thank you for using